Author Topic: Countdown to an Exhibition  (Read 2663 times)

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Countdown to an Exhibition
« on: July 25, 2011, 23:57:02 »
Though maybe you'd be interested to hear what is happening in the final days before Kirkbean Exhibition, so time permitting I'll try to post a little each night to say what has happened each day.

Five days to go...

Didn't get to the hall as early as I would have liked as I had to wait around for a phonecall.  In the end gave up and set off, I'd just got to the hall when the phonecall came and the local BBC radio reporter asked if she could come and interview me.  Decided that I might as well get it over with sooner rather than later and arranged that she would come straight away.  Wasn't as bad as I'd thought and managed to give Playmofriends a mention.  I was quite impressed that she had taken the time to search for information on last years exhibition and the link sent her to Playmofriends.
It was then down to start painting the 8 feet  x 4 feet boards.  Sandy painted while I transported Playmobil to the hall.  Carried on until 7pm then had a break for a meal (Chinese Carry Out!) then help arrived and we set up all the tables for the boards.
Left the hall at 10.45 - at last all the boards are in place but not all painted yet, but they can be painted tomorrow.
As things stand we have the following boards in place.(measured in feet ) 8 x 4 boards for Safari, School and Victorian.  12 x 4  for Circus and Pirates, 16 x 4
 for Western and Hogwarts and a 20 x 8 for Town and Railway. Plus Walter's Christmas display and a table for a Jungle/dinosaur scene.
The number of tables for support was the limiting factor, there is still space in the hall for an area for refreshments.
So at the end of day 1 things almost going to plan, still have some Hogwarts students to finish and advertising signs to put in place but now in a position to start setting up tomorrow  :yippee:

Elaine

A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
Re: Countdown to an Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:56:03 »
Great work, sounds like things are coming together.  Take lots of pictures to share with us   :)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:15 »
Oh this is so great!! I wish you all the best and, yes, lots of pics  :D

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:53:33 »
Thanks for the update, Elaine.  This is all so exciting.  Wish I was there to help!  ;D
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:11:49 »
These are exciting news indeed!! I wish I could be there too!  :love:

BTW last year's exihibition wasn't later in the year? like in november?
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 00:04:32 »
This is all so exciting! I would LOVE to get to be in on something like this. :love: Thanks for sharing details of setup with us, can't wait to see pics of everything!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 00:24:56 »
Four days to go...
All boards now painted, started to put together the circus display - quite pleased with how it's looking but not finished yet.  Victorian is underway after a minor disaster with the painting of the board - there were a few places where the paint had missed so I thought I would touch them up and someone had left green on the roller but put it in the grey tray which I was using - it ended up a bit like camouflage!  In the end I thought it might fit in with another display so swapped the boards over.  Still not finished setting it all up, still haven't taken the big house which we keep on display here, because it needs a good wipe over and I haven't had time for that, that's another job for tomorrow.
School is looking OK, I've extended the gym and built a cafeteria out of yet another gym (used four in all!)  short of a couple of roof pieces due to my misordering them from ds but found a way round that. Building took a while though (I hate system x sometimes!)
Mark who's on holiday near here called round late afternoon to lend me a lighthouse for the pirate display and has offered to lend a hand - all help gratefully accepted!
Another late night tonight - the radio broadcast is on for the first time at 7.50 tomorrow so I must be up for that, hope it's OK  :crossed:
Planning on a Western day tomorrow...

Elaine

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 19:01:32 »
Good to know things are underway smoothly Elaine, even with a few minor drawbacks, but you seem to be able to make the best out of them!! Good work!!

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 21:59:46 »
can't wait to see pictures Elaine :picsplz:
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:29 »
I've lost a day somehow - only 2 days to go  :0
Radio broadcast today was OK, they's cut quite a bit but got important bits in.
Didn't get as much done today as I would have liked - Had to spend the afternoon elsewhere so after I'd fed the family this evening, it was nearly 8pm before I got back to the hall. 
Spent the morning cleaning the dust off my large Victorian house, then picked it up to transfer it to it's proper place and it all fell apart and scattered over the floor.  It was all OK except for a piece that has broken off the large conservatory window (I'll have to put a bush in front of it!) but it took me the rest of the morning to rebuild it.
Finally got Western buildings and tepees put together tonight, market stalls etc for Victorian done and klickies and accessories in the school.  Starting on Hogwarts tomorrow.
Damo's arriving tomorrow so will be glad of extra help.
Came home late and had to make a wedding card that I'd promised to make for someone so it's a very late night/early morning so no more for now....

BTW I'll take lots of pics  :camera:

Elaine