Author Topic: does new mean improved when it comes to themes?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
Re: does new mean improved when it comes to themes?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 16:29:16 »
This is a great topic and I think the answer is that it depends.

As previous posters have mentioned, I think the pirate ships have gotten better, except for this latest version, but I don't like the new cannon and the trend towards ripped sails.  I like the newer Western buildings better than the originals, because they are larger and more detailed.  I also like the newer Western figures and knights I also have to say that I prefer the System X forts to the Steck ones.

As far as the Knight's theme, I own only System X and I like them, but I also see the virtues of Steck.  I wish Playmobil would have stuck to just one system.  I don't think these new ones will be good.

I do prefer the original versions of the Viking Longhouse, Doll House, and Fairy Tale Palace to their replacements.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 17:19:20 »
well as richard said it is up to what everyone likes to some they like the old western to others the newer western houses !!!!!! i think lindama is talking for the recently new sets!! in my opinion when hans beck get retired then playmobil start to get not that good .after2000 mostly all playmobil are the worst playmobil ever made and sadly as the years are passing we see even  more monster playmobil !!!!!!!!!! i like these new fire engines they are better than the previous but as said only a few exeptions!
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 17:34:20 »
(Let me illustrate what Martin spoke with pictures (attached) of two sets which haven't EVER been reintroduced.)
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 17:39:49 »
Here's another example of a set that, however reintroduced, got smaller and smaller ...

I miss (1) the car, (2) the tools, (3) the spirit of the original one.

(Three pictures)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 17:45:43 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 17:51:09 »
Now, lets give the thread back to its original question ... ;D

I was wondering if there have been many examples where a theme has been re-introduced and it is better than the predecessor? For example, is the new Fairytale castle (4250) better/more improved than the older version (3019)?

I am inclined to think the older sets were better, but there must also be exceptions to this rule.

What kind of older set do you mean, Lindama? Reintroduction of recent "same-sets" or new sets that remind much older ones?

Gus
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 18:00:18 »
I think I have a thought here ...

In what concerns aesthetics of the (1) klickys, usually new klickys tend to look better than the older ones.

In what concerns (2) buildings and vehicles, it depends on the sort of change.

A change in which there isn't change of building system doesn't usually change the quality of the product, I guess. Usually, it only causes a change of colour, or the like.

Civil Medieval & Victorian suffered with the relaunches, and gradually were turned into unexpressive (or unexisting) collections ...
Gus

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:23 »
Thanks for all the marvelous replies!

I was just looking at some of the old catalogue/booklets which came in the boxes of some of my older playmobil sets and found that I was very much attracted to most of what was in them and could really only locate "upgraded' or newer "styles" on ebay or in stores which didn't move me as much (ie, fairytale castle... I dont particularly like the new one). However, having said that, I did buy an old playground set and was very disappointed with the fragility/detail of the klickies/parts in general - it was an old antex set).

As you say Richard, it is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I do agree that I am put off the new castle sets because they do appear focused on the combat side of things when I find the day to day living of the era fascinating. I would like a mix...just like in the old days...sigh.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:46:35 »
Antex, especially the old sets, have a reputation for poor quality, plus with the early plastics ageing causes the plastic to deteriorate.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”