Author Topic: Brittle Plastic  (Read 1471 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Brittle Plastic
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:57:39 »
I bought this Special recently- Brand New in Box. Although I assembled the parts carefully, the heels snapped off both boots and the instep cracked on one (see pics taken after an attempt to glue the boots back together). So I bought a secondhand one from ebay- both heels were broken off that one too. Is this a design flaw or something to do with this copper-coloured plastic? I have noticed the gates of the Roman Arena (also copper-coloured plastic) seem quite brittle too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 16:47:30 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Brittle Plastic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:02:24 »
I can't see the pics, but I do think it has to do with the formula for that color of plastic. I have one of these guys and the boot covers broke while I was trying to get them on. (Of course the pieces went flying, so even gluing is not an option.)
http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/playmobil_diver.jpg

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:05:45 »
The visor (also copper-coloured) of the old "Swan knight" helmet is ALWAYS very brittle too.
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 16:49:33 »
Thanks for those replies- looks like it might be the plastic then?
I have edited my original message so the pictures are now visible! (I was just lucky I found all three bits of plastic which fractured off as I put the boots on!)
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 20:32:51 »
People have commented on the same problem with this figure before.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 21:06:46 »
The colouring is absolutely beautiful (as your pictures show) but mine broke too the very first time I tried to put them on - both boots.  Playmobil sent me new boots (now if only I can find them - it's been several years).

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:35:06 »
It is a gorgeous color, just sadly problematic. I wonder if DS still has some of these boots.