Author Topic: Take Along- ¿Way Of The Future?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
Take Along- ¿Way Of The Future?
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:23 »
With the rise of Take Alongs of every sort, ¿is this becoming the way of the future for Playmobil buildings? Steck is dead (I didn’t say I like it, I said it was true), System X isn’t moving forward by much, but the Take Alongs give you a self-contained unit that you could add onto, although limitedly in same cases. They also cost a lot less.
So, ¿is Take Along the way of the future? ¿Or am I just panicking?
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Take Along- ¿Way Of The Future?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:35:18 »
I think, Take-Along is a way for Playmobil to enter the US-market.
They designed the first Take-Alongs for Target and later put them into the regular catalogues...

There is the problem that most US customers are not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for toys.
They want to have something playable in the range of ~25 US$. This is far below the price range of the core playmobil products like pirate ships, school buildings, 1900 dollhouse etc...

Maybe it's a way to enter the market and to get a good reputation and then the sets will become larger as well. :)

Btw. I would love to see Take-Alongs that are extendable and/or to be integrated into the big buildings...  :D

best,
socrates

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:14 »
Socrates is spot on in his analysis, the "take away" approach is a US directed concept.  I like the idea in some ways, but haven't bought any because they are too restricting.  However, if they were more flexible with the ability to merge them with each other or the other PLaymobil buildings, then I would be more interested in buying.  Just by having the exteriors blank with stick on detail would be attractive, and proper window openings.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:09 »
Socrates is right! Its cheaper for people to get a toy for their kids, and it can easily be carried around, in visits to grandparents, the countryside etc... So why not go for the cheap solution?

I have bought three take alongs. The skull pirate island, the 5803 castle and the new police station. Although small and restrictive, they allow a child to have their favourite toy with them all the time... the latest police station offers so many possibilities, i think its the best designed take-along set playmobil has produced!!! And its cheaper than the big police HQ!

So, no I don't think playmobil is replacing original sets with take alongs, its just a good marketing strategy to expand, and make the toy, more approachable by everyone!

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 14:44:38 »
I think, Take-Along is a way for Playmobil to enter the US-market.
There is the problem that most US customers are not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for toys.

Btw. I would love to see Take-Alongs that are extendable and/or to be integrated into the big buildings...  :D

Well I certainly don't fit into the category of people in the U.S. who aren't willing to pay that much on toys! I shudder to think about how money money we've spent on Playmobil  :o Not that it isn't worth every penny  ;)

I think your suggestion of having the Take-Alongs able to merge with the larger sets is a brilliant idea! The selection of Playmobil is a joke here. Last year there wasn't a store within 100 miles that even sold it  ???. But, as most of our Playmobil is steck, we generally get the majority of our collection on ebay anyway.

Do most of you get yours new or used?

Cheers,
Jenna

P.S. I've never used quotes from another post before, so forgive me if I didn't do it correctly. :wave:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 18:00:11 »
P.S. I've never used quotes from another post before, so forgive me if I didn't do it correctly. :wave:
You did fine!  :)9 If you're unsure, you can always use the preview button to see how it will look.

Yes, I think the take-alongs are a good idea, great for taking back and forth to mom's one week, and dad's the next, which sadly is how many modern families work. But I hope this isn't exactly the wave of the future. In fact, I'd rather see them go backwards and start making the buildings look more like complete buildings again, rather than just the front wall of a building.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 18:20:06 »
In fact, I'd rather see them go backwards and start making the buildings look more like complete buildings again, rather than just the front wall of a building.

Yes that would be the best and actually more appropriate!!!

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 18:44:16 »
I'd rather see them go backwards and start making the buildings look more like complete buildings again, rather than just the front wall of a building.

Yes that would be the best and actually more appropriate!!!

SO TRUE! I agree 500% or more!
Actual buildings look like theatre scenery, there're no divisions between rooms, no doors, etc. I was watching this in the School thread....spaces are more opened everytime..... Cheaper to make I guess, more versatile maybe, but better?  :hmm:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 19:24:45 »
I don’t hate Take Alongs- In fact, I got the Dollhouse (5763) for my younger daughters, Barbarian’s Fort (4774) for my older one, Castle (58Ø3) for me (and plan to get the Police Station/5917 for me), and plan to get a few more (I’ve roughly penciled in a second Police Station and Castle for my older son as well as Horse Barn for him, Chapel for my younger daughter, and am waiting until my younger is old enough to appear to  have an interest to decide what to start getting him). If anyone interpreted the original post to infer that I did, I apologize. (I don’t “love” them either, I love the buildables [Steck or System X], but they do have their place.)
I would, however, join Socrates et el who said it’d be nice to be able to integrate them into larger constructs; For example I got the Castle with the specific intention to build a larger castle around it. In this case, I could take the “main gate” (58Ø3) along, leaving the rest of the castle behind when I go to my parents home (Ø2 states away)… As it stands right now, I have not been able o do so (though I haven’t tried very hard, either).

EDIT: Of course, I would like to see doors and windows hat actually open, but only if they can do so in a way that allows the so stay closed when you close them up.
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:39:28 »
EDIT: Of course, I would like to see doors and windows hat actually open, but only if they can do so in a way that allows the so stay closed when you close them up.

Yes, the windows would need to have actual "glass" in them, not just frames, and the doors and windows latch very securely. Otherwise, you'd lose the whole point of it being a take-along.

Actual buildings look like theatre scenery, there're no divisions between rooms, no doors, etc. I was watching this in the School thread....spaces are more opened everytime..... Cheaper to make I guess, more versatile maybe, but better?  :hmm:

I can understand some degree of openess, because kids need to be able to reach in for convenient play, (although I did just fine with the more closed in ones as a child) but it drives me crazy when a doll house has no walls at all between the bathroom and bedroom, etc. Most children like their toys to be somewhat realistic, too. So. I move for more closed in buildings. Anyone want to second the motion?  :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.