Author Topic: i can be wrong...  (Read 7989 times)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
i can be wrong...
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:10:43 »
i can be wrong ... but don't you feel there has been a general lack of real interesting news in the playmo world. ???
i have been absent for a while (tons of work to do) but i still visited my playmofriends and playmobil.de and ebay and, somehow, i couldn't help feeling very little was going on in our playmo-world. :hmm:
the new direct service pirates can't be found on ebay, as an example (there is only one guy in australia selling them). :o
could this be the end of an era? ???
could the meltdown in the financial world mean that playmobil is also going down? ???
the way i see it, this could be true for the pirates theme - very poor designs and a general lack of little pieces lately. :'(
could it be that the world is losing its interest in the playmo-world. :-\
i just bought a 3133 pirates 25 years special edition (i only had the smaller 3174) for a very good price and i was the only bidder. :o
i will try to verify the evolution on the number of playmo items that are on sale on global.ebay.com.
this week the number is 32352.
let´s see how it goes for the next week.
maybe this can confirm or dismiss my worries....
:yup:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: i can be wrong...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:58:53 »
... could the meltdown in the financial world mean that playmobil is also going down? ???
the way i see it, this could be true for the pirates theme - very poor designs and a general lack of little pieces lately. :'( ...

I don't think you have to worry (yet) Cachalote. According to some researchers, the amount of money being spend in the coming months for Xmas and Sinterklaas will be less as the last couple of years; but what's being spend will be spend on toys of higher quality (like Playmobil)
Other researchers have found that parents refuse to let the children be the victims of the current recession and will spend as much as last year on the kids (and Playmobil has always done well in the festive season); but will spend less money on themselves (so collectors will but less  ;)).

All in all, I don't think you should be too frightened. Besides; there are quite some awesome themes coming up next year !!!
So, don't be gloomy - start to be bloomy  ;D

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 16:45:19 »
I second what Bogro said.

This is my third season following Playmo news.  Things always quiet down after September.  In the USA, at least, all the new introductions and big sales end in September with the Playmobil USA website sleeping through Christmas and not lighting up again until February.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 17:41:15 »
Well i have noticed a lot less activity on Ebay and other toy outlets in general. The study that is being quoted said that "(In the UK) 67% said that they would not let it affect their ability to purchase presents for their families". Now this is what they say not what actually will happen. Even if the study becomes reality that is a 23% decline in business . I know that i have changed my purchasing habits and as much as I would not want it to affect my kids present purchases for the holidays, it will . I still will be getting them Playmobil just not as much . I may put more effort into getting the grand parents into either Lego or Playmobil thought ;)

As far as PlaymoNews. I could not agree more that things have quieted down. I have noticed a lot less activity on this forum and others concerning news and other subjects. As Timotheos stated that is just the cycle.

I do not think there is a general degrading of playmobil , I do see them trying new themes, colors, designs and manufacturing locations, but then that is just what a company needs to do to stay competitive.

Like Borgo mentioned we have lots of things to look forward to in the spring. For now we are just going into winter time in the US so its time to smuggle up to the fire with a cup of tea and biscuits  :zz:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:34 »
I have noticed that TRU near me has added an entire aisle of Playmobil and a big circus display this month. It looks like they are finally trying a bit harder at getting some attention from TRU customers. I hope it goes well this season. Perhaps it will promote better stock in their stores year round and a more timely introduction of new sets. Playmobil seems less interested in supporting small toy shops these days...

I for one haven't lost interest! The sets coming next year are looking great. I can't wait to get my hands on some of it.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:07:57 »
I too have noticed a significant slowdown in Playmobil forum activity.  I personally think it's the economy, which will be bad for a while (tonight's election results will not help matters), and its actual as well as psychological effects.  Nevertheless, Playmobil and its enthusiasts will endure.  I won't be buying much until next September, but that's only because there won't be any new US releases until then.  :)
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 16:41:59 »
I too have noticed a significant slowdown in Playmobil forum activity.  I personally think it's the economy, which will be bad for a while (tonight's election results will not help matters), and its actual as well as psychological effects.  Nevertheless, Playmobil and its enthusiasts will endure.  I won't be buying much until next September, but that's only because there won't be any new US releases until then.  :)

You would think that even if we can't afford to buy more Playmobil, it wouldn't change the way we talk about it, display it, do photo stories with it, discuss future releases, etc.  ;D! Getting our minds away from current events, & discussing another interest is better for our mental status  8}. I think we need to be strong for each other through these depressing times, & try to do things with the items we already own, like photo stories, & other projects to keep the morale high. It may not be the newest item Playmobil has come out with, but there will always be interesting theme's, & sets to be discussed, old, & new! Plus, there are alot of customizer's out there  ;)! You have to admit that when you work on a project, or you look @ other peoples efforts, it gives you a good feeling  :)9, & that's what we all need right now, & that's why Playmofriends was created  :love:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 15:13:33 »
november, 2: 32352 playmo items on sale.
november, 9: 31650 playmo items on sale...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:56:03 by cachalote »

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 15:22:11 »
Nice to see you back (active again), cachalote!

'Missed ye! :D

Yours,

Gus
:blackhair:

a bit more quiet myself, for reasons known ... ;D
Little Theatre
& More
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 15:31:27 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:59:43 »
obrigado (thanks) gustavo.  :wave:
it is nice to be back and to know i have been missed.  :love:
(although maybe some recent post about the "christmas" theme can "trouble" this certainty).
  :hmm: