Author Topic: Manufacturer of XXL Playmobil Figures might go bust ...  (Read 1506 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
A recent post in Klickywelt discusses the economic woes of Giessegi Werbung GmbH, the manufacturer of the XXL figures. Back in April they lacked orders – I don't know whether things have meanwhile improved. The quoted article in bild.de is quite interesting for showing how these XXL figures are (were?) produced, involving lots of manual labour. Have a look! (I haven't found it in JLMatterer's magnificent collection "Playmobil in the News")

Best wishes
stJohn

Offline surfergirl

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Fanatic
Re: Manufacturer of XXL Playmobil Figures might go bust ...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 13:09:37 »
I’d be gutted if they stopped making XXL figures.
I wish I lived in Germany!

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 15:43:57 »
Funny detail from the bild.de article: the hands of XXL figures are intentionally designed to be big enough to hold a (I suppose German 0.5 litre) beer bottle! :lol: I haven't got one around here to test this claim – XXL figure I mean! :**:

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 19:02:17 »
Vielen Dank! My browser initially attempted to block the link to the article, which is maybe why I missed it during my usual searches. I've shared it on the FB site now.  :wave:

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 18:27:20 »
The Dutch and German playmobil sites are selling the xxl Santa right now. Does anyone know if these are the last in stock or is the manufacturer still in business?

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 19:52:09 »
The Dutch and German playmobil sites are selling the xxl Santa right now. Does anyone know if these are the last in stock or is the manufacturer still in business?

It is confusing: I see that 6629 is described as "XXL", but he really isn't all that big (65 cm) and is produced by Geobra itself. What I refer to in the title of this thread are the large (150 cm) promotional figures found standing in and outside of shops: they were never meant to be sold to the public (but do tend to end up there, as JLMatterer can testify ;D), and are made by Giessegi Werbung GmbH.

Mind you: the 150 cm promotional figures aren't the biggest figures. A few years ago in German department stores, figures were put on display that are substantially larger than a human adult. :o They are documented at Klickywelt.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 20:26:46 »
Thanks  :) I  didn’t know there were different Xxl versions. I’ve never seen a promotional klicky before.

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 00:04:56 »
Pardon my ignorance, what in the world are XXL figures?

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 07:08:51 »
Pardon my ignorance, what in the world are XXL figures?

Have a look at Reply #5. :wave: