General > News

Deep pockets but no plan: the Horst Brandstätter Holding in 2021

<< < (2/8) > >>

Redmao:
Very interesting article.
I didn't know that Novelmore was a flop, specially with a new batch of sets coming this year. I think that the designs and characters make a fun knights' theme.

Ismene:
Bleak, but not surprising. They've been flinging things at the wall, trying to see what sticks, without any real plan. They're out of touch with children, out of touch with collectors, and apparently out of touch with their own employees. They seem content to give half their profits to Ebay, and they refuse to make the simplest commonsense changes.

StJohn:

--- Quote from: Tiermann on February 20, 2021, 21:08:09 ---They didn't mention the weird corporate structure that was a huge mistake in my opinion. Instead of a single CEO it started out right after HOBs death with a three person committee.

--- End quote ---

I suppose the triumvirate has come to an end, then?

What I find most fascinating are the 1.5 billion € in their savings account – the original German sentence is worth quoting:

--- Quote ---statt Brandstätters Vermögen zu investieren – mit einem Eigenkapital von rund 1,5 Milliarden Euro ist die Horst Brandstätter Holding eine Bank mit angehängter Spritzgussfabrik –, wird eisern gespart.
--- End quote ---

I recently observed a boy with his grandmother at Kaufhof, carefully inspecting all the shelves, his eyes shining looking at all the sets, hers carefully reading the price tags. They took their time, negotiated happily together and made a pick, went off to the counter to pay and left the shop, the boy thanking his nan profusely. This is going to be a happy memory for both of them, and the scene made me happy, reminding me of my own youth.

Now remember that HOB was pretty much broke when he started with Playmobil in 1974, and consider how this, and many millions more of such transactions, have built his Money Bin over the years. There is more to that cash than just assets, it is a monument of the collusion of commerce and love. It makes my head spin. 8}

Birdie:
Thank you so much for bringing this article to our attention and for translating!  :heart:

Like the rest of you, I don't think it's surprising to hear numbers are going down, but it is very interesting to read this analysis on why.
I sure hope the company gets its act together and can turn things around with the right group of people. I still see how the toy and the brand remain popular with kids here, for instance the Netflix series Spirit and Heidi with their accompanying sets are a favourite come Saint Nicholas/Christmas/birthdays. The princess and mermaid sets are doing well too with my daughter, her friends, and my friends' and sisters' kids.

Oliver:

--- Quote from: Redmao on February 21, 2021, 00:02:19 ---Very interesting article.
I didn't know that Novelmore was a flop, specially with a new batch of sets coming this year. I think that the designs and characters make a fun knights' theme.

--- End quote ---

To be honest, success or failure I think they would have had to (or might as well, lets put it that way) press on with the second batch of Novelmore. I think they need to have some sort of 'knights' theme (especially in the absence of another 'historical' theme), and to design and produce a replacement probably takes years.

I think it would be fascinating to see a break down of what sells well, and I know you can take educated guesses from what comes-and-goes (and what sits constantly for sale on the website long after it's been axed....) but still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version