Author Topic: Collectobil- has it gone?  (Read 11068 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Collectobil- has it gone?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:09 »
If it's just the domain itself that is gone, as long as Richard still has the site hosted there, it would be a matter to create a subdomain and point it to the site dir.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 10:44:29 »
Maybe as GrahamB has contacted him already he could ask exactly what the situation is. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 12:11:47 »

. . . Here's another one, for Sylvia: could PF host the Collectobil pages as well as offering hosting for larger images, such as those now squashed by Photobucket? I am sure the answer is complicated and would need additional finance, but I for one would be willing to help pay for it.

So would I!  Would it be possible to host PlaymoFriends (with enhanced photo capabilities,) Playmodb, Collectobil, and, possibly, other valued resources in a single protected location?  I would happily make a financial contribution to such an endeavour!  :yup:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:14:33 »
I, too, would be willing to chip in to support a wider reaching PF.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 06:43:57 »
Count me in. 
kaethe

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 02:58:28 »
Me too.

If the PM collector world, especially in the Anglosphere, is shrinking or at least marking time, we need to pull back and consolidate. HOLD THE LINE  :knight:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 09:29:29 »
I will also contribute if we come to that.

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 14:46:35 »
I think that a more expansive PlaymoFriends community is a great idea! Tying the forum and Collectobil together could help to attract new members as well since Collectobil is/was such a popular website.
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 17:39:22 »
I wonder how this affects Playmodb?  Heather had a lot of photos from collectobil linked to her set information.

I had a reply to my email to Heather. She has plans to continue using the Collectobil images as well as links to Produkt-Arkiv at playmobil.de, but is very busy at the moment, so it may be a while yet...

Apart from the images at Collectobil (especially box back images), I found the release dates and discontinued dates useful, as well as the German names. But I think most of the data is no longer available. :(
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 18:19:58 »
I had a reply to my email to Heather. She has plans to continue using the Collectobil images as well as links to Produkt-Arkiv at playmobil.de, but is very busy at the moment, so it may be a while yet...

Apart from the images at Collectobil (especially box back images), I found the release dates and discontinued dates useful, as well as the German names. But I think most of the data is no longer available. :(

The links to Collectobil from playmoDB have gone.  Clicking on the images only take you to the warning message.

There seems no reason why the data should have disappeared, it's possibly archived somewhere.

What disappoints me is that this source was allowed to go and that no attempt seems to be being made to retrieve.  I have a small website of my own where I would be happy to host it temporarily if I can do so, but there may be restrictions on the amount of data I can hold.

Alternatively, if the data can be accessed, it ought to be possible to download a copy onto someone's computer and store it there while something is sorted out.