Author Topic: 7438 Barn Add-on  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
7438 Barn Add-on
« on: March 20, 2013, 14:57:55 »
This is a review of the Playmobil add-on barn set 7438. This set is currently on clearance at PlaymobilUSA.com for $26.00, there is also a newer version set 6213 Vehicle Shed which is the same building with green wall sections and a red roof. The 6213 version also includes some shelves, that the 7438 does not.

The set comes unassembled in a large bag and consists of around 50 pieces. Once assembled it looks like this

This is a large building that can fit a variety of things

But not something as big as a yacht

What really makes this barn worth getting for me though, is that it solves one of the oldest problem areas in my Playmobil zoo. It’s just the right size for an elephant shelter.

It also is tall enough it can be used with giraffes.

Here it is in a zoo setting.

I had looked in the past at trying to make an elephant shelter out of Steck system or out of the Fairytale Palace pieces. Those never quite worked because they would have taken too many pieces to accomplish the objective. This barn fills the need perfectly. Well worth picking up in either version, but the sale price can’t be beat.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: 7438 Barn Add-on
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 15:18:41 »
Tim!!! Thanks so much for this review!!! I have been trying to come up with the perfect giraffe barn and elephant barn for years! Why didn't I ever think of that building? :doh: I'll be using that idea, for sure. :-[ And I also love how you connected the giraffe feeder, brilliant!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 15:25:10 »
Its a very nice building and your uses are quite nice options. We use it as a barn on the farm to store the harvesters. One thing I do find odd it the  back wall, its limits the use and expansion possiblilities .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 17:37:46 »
I've tried it without the back wall and it is sturdy enough to stand without it. The same wall has been in the pony farm sets in the past and there are window inserts in those.

For the giraffe food holder, it clips on, so I just took the System X piece that one of the floodlights clips to and used that. I'm thinking of getting a couple extra form DS do there can be two or three in a row, there's enough room in the structure as built. I'm also considering doing an adapted version for the giraffes that isn't as wide

Oh and an important thing I forgot to mention - the structure is not white. The light colored pieces are in the same light cream that the 4857 vacation house is made from. Which means you can get matching solid wall pieces or ones with windows or door holes to put in the walls instead of the red sections.

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 17:53:15 »
Thank you very much for the review Tim.
I have that building too and I have thought also to use it with my train.
But use it with the zoo it was a great idea, I liked it very much, well done.

George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 18:49:32 »
Thanks for the review, Tim.  You have highlighted a great range of uses for it.   I have the original version and it makes a good loco shed.   It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be a way to job two of the higher sections together to make it a two road loco shed.

We never seem to get sales like that in the UK, btw.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 21:27:35 »
Looks like a rather nice and versatile building some great ideas there  :)

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 22:15:42 »
Great review, Tim.  :)9  This just arrived at my house yesterday!  So it is quite timely for me as well.  Somehow I would like close it in a bit and make a garage-workshop. 

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 23:15:26 »
Thank you for a great review Tim and the good ideas for its use.
I have two of these and never thought of using them as animal shelters  :doh: they are perfect.

Elaine

A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:40 »
Great pics! Looks like a very multi-purpose building!  :)