Author Topic: 5841 ROMAN FORT  (Read 12757 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: 5841 ROMAN FORT
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 21:05:22 »

What's your perfect set? ... Is there any??!

(Please, remember LAUGHing!)[/b]

Gus, I think the rest of Justindo's paragraph was the answer to your question!

I agree with Justindo, make those changes and you're getting close to a perfect set. I would add that the Centurion should have a Centurion's transverse crest. Given those changes, this set would be perfect, for what it is. I probably still won't buy it, because I have the Viking starter set and 250-300 other Romans, but if you only have a handful (or none) and want to start, this is a good starter set, at a very nice price.

I'm suprised they didn't make more of the secret hidey hole in the rocks. If I were a barbarian, and the Romans built a camp next to my ancestral burial tomb, I'd be somewhat aggrieved too.

bar-bar-bar Barbarian
bar-bar-bar Barbarian
Oh Barbarian,
Please take my hand...Oh Barbarian, take my hand
bar Barbarian
You got me rockin and a-rollin
Rockin and a-reelin
Barbarian

etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 21:10:58 by Martin Milner »

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 21:09:13 »
I would add that the Centurion should have a Centurion's transverse crest.

Thanks Martin!  I missed that completely!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 21:38:50 »
I would add that the Centurion should have a Centurion's transverse crest.
+
Thanks Martin!  I missed that completely!

It's hopeless!!!
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.s.: Where's the "Barbarbarbarbarian Song" from, Martin? ... 8} I'm no native speaker ... 'Never heard it!

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 13:25:14 »

bar-bar-bar Barbarian
bar-bar-bar Barbarian
Oh Barbarian,
Please take my hand...Oh Barbarian, take my hand
bar Barbarian
You got me rockin and a-rollin
Rockin and a-reelin
Barbarian

etc.

Beach Boys!  Oh, thanks for implanting that into my brain... must go sing something else, loudly...

Re: Centurion's crest: the score for this guy is 4 appearances with a tranverse crest vs. 2 with front-to-back; his add-on, 7877, is labeled "Centurion".  So much for historical accuracy or at least consistency (like I ever had any hope of THAT).
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 13:42:04 »
Re: Centurion's crest: the score for this guy is 4 appearances with a tranverse crest vs. 2 with front-to-back; his add-on, 7877, is labeled "Centurion".  So much for historical accuracy or at least consistency (like I ever had any hope of THAT).

I'd forgotten about the catapult guy, I think my siege weapons unit will still have this guy in charge. So far we've only got red and white transverse crests available, but a lot more options for front-to-back.

I'd like Playmo to do a gold (bronze) version of the plain helmet too, it would be useful for many figures.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 06:22:34 »
I use the centurion klicky with the yellow front to back crest for both my cavalry decurions and my auxiliary centurions.  My legionary centurion klickies use red transverse crests while my Praetorian centurion klickies use white transverse crests.

I agree that gold/bronze regular helmets would be useful for diversity in an imperial legion and if one wanted to create a Republican legion with bronze helmets.  That said, many legionaries in both the republican and imperial period silvered their bronze helmets so they would appear as iron ones.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:56:20 »
Hey the sandy, Syrian fort does have one realistic detail--

The "treasure pit" makes an acceptable shallow grave for political malefactors.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:22 »
[*I dislike the Playmobil concept of this word ... I'll rather have the Roman one, derived from the Greek one: "everyone who isn't Roman is Barbarian". Actually, Greek word bárbaros, -e, -on refers to "people that speak a language that we, Greeks, can't understand and, therefore, sounds like yada-yada" (Greek bar-bar-bar, Portuguese blá-blá-blá ...).]

Hey Gus, when the Greeks called outsiders "jabber-jabber-ers", they didn't intend that as a term of endearment.

I suspect that the Greeks would not entirely have disapproved of Playmobil's interpretation of the term.

-Tim

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 13:41:14 »
I use the centurion klicky with the yellow front to back crest for both my cavalry decurions and my auxiliary centurions.  My legionary centurion klickies use red transverse crests while my Praetorian centurion klickies use white transverse crests.

I agree that gold/bronze regular helmets would be useful for diversity in an imperial legion and if one wanted to create a Republican legion with bronze helmets.  That said, many legionaries in both the republican and imperial period silvered their bronze helmets so they would appear as iron ones.

I've used red transverse crests for all legionary centurions, and white for everyone else including the Praetorian Century. I have four legionary centuries, so I've designated them 1st to 4th, and the 1st officers get gold helmets.

In Osprey books I have bronze helmets appear as late as the 1st and 2nd century AD in the various colour illustrations. At least they look bronze-d. Some helmets appear to be a mix, with some bronze and some iron pieces.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 23:29:28 »
I've used red transverse crests for all legionary centurions, and white for everyone else including the Praetorian Century. I have four legionary centuries, so I've designated them 1st to 4th, and the 1st officers get gold helmets.

In Osprey books I have bronze helmets appear as late as the 1st and 2nd century AD in the various colour illustrations. At least they look bronze-d. Some helmets appear to be a mix, with some bronze and some iron pieces.

Be sure to read the captions with the illustrations.

In my "Roman Auxiliary Cavalry" the Gallic auxiliaries are drawn in what the author believed were parade costumes, but which the artist depicted as if on campaign.

It's a little quirky when Osprey writers pick nits (often) with their artists.  I wonder how closely the author gets to work with the writer.

-Tim