Author Topic: 5787 Knight's Catapult  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
5787 Knight's Catapult
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:37:28 »
This is a 2006 set (by date of manufacture) that I picked up in T K Maxx, the UK name for T J Maxx, and the ONLY shop in my corner of London that carries Playmobil (occasionally and randomly). Not sure why the catapult is owned by only one of these knights, but maybe Playmobil can't punctuate English. At least the French translation confirms ownership by more than one knight.

The title on the box indicates a North American release. This clan of Wolf Knights (black and red) is my favourite design, so it's a shame they were never in the official catalogue (as far as I know).

The box-back picture seems rather hastily taken - one red shoulder puff is not sitting right, and the same figure's belt is not straight. Informative, but uninspiring. 

Both figures have been seen before, and are what I term "generic knights". They have no specific wolf heraldry on their bodies, so with a quick shield switch they could join the current Red Dragon Knights, which in the long term makes them more useful. Notice the right hand figure has different legs to those the box picture. This style of "knight" is my favourite through the years - really these are men-at-arms, and I reserve "knight" for their mounted and more heavily armed leaders.

I dislike the white wolf head-dress. I don't think it looks right, and black would have been better. Nor the red shoulder puffs, but these things are quickly changed. I have a use for the white head-dress elsewhere, so the set designer can still sleep soundly at night.

There are two swords, one poleaxe, and a dagger included, as well as two Wolf shields, so that's really a sword and a shield more than these guys needed - bonus. 4 rocks with a carrier, and three flame pots comprise the ammo for the catapult. I never considered it before, but the slots in the rocks allow a figure to hold them.

A field test found that this design of catapult flings a missile about three feet, with subsequent roll on flat surfaces (beware losing shots under the sofa). This is slightly farther than the smaller catapult used in the 4278 Roman set, and with a higher trajectory. It was also easier to operate, by twisting on the pivot rather than hitting the front lever, with less chance of knocking over surrounding klickies, and safer for the operator.

Here's the catapult crew surrounded by their Wolf Clan buddies. That white head-dress has to go.

Parts sheet for anyone who needs the part numbers. Heather, I shall be posting clearer and less crinkled scans tomorrow.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 5787 Knight's Catapult
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:40 »
Nice review, Martin.  Many thanks. 

I think the inconsistent legs you mention are Viking legs.  They appeared on the 4599 Special of 2000 -

http://collectobil.com/catalogue/items/4599.htm
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 00:42:39 »
Thanks Martin - great info.  I do believe the wolf hood is from 4569 - Wolf Tracker - funny how part numbers I'd despaired of getting, suddenly turn up! Too bad it didn't come with the cloak too.

The wrapped boots are obviously from a mis-assembly: those figures are from 3887 - Siege Tower and 3888 - Castle Defenders, before the Vikings were heard of or thought of, and should have come with boots-with-cuffs.  That means they're not technically Wolf Knights either, but they sure fit in well.

I'll post what I can read, and add the rest when the clearer plans turn up.  Thanks.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:30:10 »
Hey Martin great review!  I have not seen that set here in the states yet!  (Granted, due to the randomness of TJ / TK Maxx, I rarely ever check out the place).

That catapult has existed for several years in at least two previous sets (you probably know).

I have mixed feelings about it.  The rigid arm weight at the end technically makes it a trebuchet (the Roman onager relied on torsion in twisted rope to build potential energy in the arm). 

This weekend I experimented with trying to make that into a bonafide trebuchet (see attached image).

Unfortunately, without the sling and hook, the increased arc and velocity only resulted in a shorter range because the stone was released at a downward trajectory.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:49 »
PS.  On the subject of the bear (mole?)-faced helmet worn by the other figure (I don't mean the wolf hood, but that helmet with that queer design)--

Why did PM have to fall in love with that helmet?  They're like a little kid who only wants to watch the cartoon you hate the most.

I mailed Mike 16 of those helmets, hoping I'd exhausted my supply, only to discover I'm almost back up to that total.

That and the spaceman-ish sugar-loaf helmet are PM's two most favorite helms.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:02:38 »
Thanks Martin - great info.  I do believe the wolf hood is from 4569 - Wolf Tracker - funny how part numbers I'd despaired of getting, suddenly turn up! Too bad it didn't come with the cloak too.

The wrapped boots are obviously from a mis-assembly: those figures are from 3887 - Siege Tower and 3888 - Castle Defenders, before the Vikings were heard of or thought of, and should have come with boots-with-cuffs.  That means they're not technically Wolf Knights either, but they sure fit in well.

I'll post what I can read, and add the rest when the clearer plans turn up.  Thanks.

I discovered that this white wolf head-piece is a slightly yellow off-white, when compared to the pure white of a Centurion's cloak or crest. It's not dreadful, but it doesn look like the wearer hasn't washed it in a while.

Maybe because I first saw these boots on the Vikings, I think they look wrong when they appear on other figures, especially pirates. At least here they're black and not hot pink or purple.

D'Oh! I forgot to put the plans in my workbag for scanning.  Tomorrow.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:07:45 »
PS.  On the subject of the bear (mole?)-faced helmet worn by the other figure (I don't mean the wolf hood, but that helmet with that queer design)--

Why did PM have to fall in love with that helmet?  They're like a little kid who only wants to watch the cartoon you hate the most.

I mailed Mike 16 of those helmets, hoping I'd exhausted my supply, only to discover I'm almost back up to that total.

That and the spaceman-ish sugar-loaf helmet are PM's two most favorite helms.

LOL, yes, I can accept it as a Gladiator helmet for fighting ferocious beasts, but as you say, it's appearing far more often than it should.

Which one is the Sugar-loaf?

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:40 »
Which one is the Sugar-loaf?

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-07-6470

30 07 6470

I don't see it so much now, but it was the rage in the pre-2006 sets.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:29 »
Ah, I wondered if that was it.

I don't dislike that one nearly as much as the mole helmet. It's plain, functional and business-like. I figure a guy wearing one of those is a no-nonsense killer who isn't into flair and heraldry, he's just going to slip 3' of steel into you quick as a blink, and move on to the next sucker, while you gasp your last.

I use that helmet for bodyguards and others who wish to remain anonymous, and it also makes a reasonable early jousting helmet - before they realised that splinters from a breaking lance point can still penetrate the eye-gaps, and re-designed helmets so at the moment of impact the jouster can tilt their head back or forward to cover their eyes completely.

It'd make a great helm for Eowyn to wear, in her guise as Durnhelm.