Author Topic: Rome-Egypt  (Read 6377 times)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Re: Rome-Egypt
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 19:05:47 »
HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE A FLOP?!!!!!!!  :omg: :lol:
I second that!  :omg: :lol:
Life in the so called space age...

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 19:08:46 »
HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE A FLOP?!!!!!!!  :omg: :lol:

Hi

Perhaps children and parents who buy for them are not interested in them . Not everybody is interested in letting their kids play with a race of dominating waring society bent on taking over the world  :P just a guess though. I am sure there are better answers  ;)

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 20:56:48 »
Hi

Perhaps children and parents who buy for them are not interested in them . Not everybody is interested in letting their kids play with a race of dominating waring society bent on taking over the world  :P just a guess though. I am sure there are better answers  ;)

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

if that was the case maybe the western / native american sets would never have sold
but it's just my guess

i really wonder why the romans/egyptians are not selling that much? i bet those themes were very succesful initially but perhaps PM overproduced boxes/add-ons? (they knew both were VERY requested themes, at least by collectors)
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 22:16:42 »
I don't see them following any different pattern than other themes have gone through the last few years. They make a theme, it's available for 2 or 3 years and then they slowly retire it as they sell through their remaining stock.

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 22:42:16 »
Can't answer the question about catalogue merge, but do think that the wonderful Roman theme could have been/could be revitalised by the addition of some buildings. I would love a Roman Villa or temple.
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 22:44:39 »
The new vacation house comes pretty close, very Italianate looking at least

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 14:26:48 »
I agree. As much as I love the Roman theme I think it wasn't particularly well thought out.  You could certainly build legions but after that what do you do? Some buildings or at least a fort would have been useful I think.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 14:36:55 »
You know, now that I think about it more, I think you're right. What this theme lacks is play value. You can build a great army, but what do you do with the army? We adults may enjoy just having them, but a kid would get bored with them easily. A child isn't likely to appreciate them just for their magnificent historical details.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 17:15:20 »
if that was the case maybe the western / native american sets would never have sold
but it's just my guess

i really wonder why the romans/egyptians are not selling that much? i bet those themes were very succesful initially but perhaps PM overproduced boxes/add-ons? (they knew both were VERY requested themes, at least by collectors)

Hi

Look at the variety in the Western theme. It was not just a bunch of gun slinging cowboys and spear throwing Indians. Look at the whole train department that complimented it. All the civilian elements that are more collectible than the Cowboys and Indians them selfs  . I have a very beautiful (in my opinion of course) western town with many elements represented, minus a single bathroom though  :lol: (we need an old outhouse with the moon cut in the door).

According to my local retailers the theme never sold well.  Collectors make up a small percentage of Playmobil's bottom line.

It would be very hard to speculate if Playmobil were to have made more of a civilian element to the theme if that alone would have carried it further. Times have changed and kids play differently . They still play but it just seems different to me. It seems like their interests are short lived, kind of like if you are to watch TV, your brain has to keep shifting stories and quickly.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 17:47:42 »
There havent been any Romans in Maltese toy shops for two years. The last Romans I saw was in Belgium sometime last year. Bart Smit still had a couple of blue specials and I got them  :love:

I have mixed feelings about the buildings. But a fort would have been great.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."