Author Topic: Roman Nymphaeum  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Roman Nymphaeum
« on: May 04, 2008, 14:53:02 »
Here are some photos of a Nymphaeum I slapped together for my Roman provincial town (in progress).

A Nymphaeum was a place people could get fresh water from--either a natural spring that had been "beautified" or a reservoir containing run-off from an aquaduct.  The Nymphaeum was dedicated to the "nymphs", but from examples I've seen the patron who sponsored it could decorate it as he/she pleased, often adding statues of her family.

My Nymphaeum is much simpler than that (actually it doesn't quite meet how I wanted it).  But for the moment, it gets by and adds a roughly Roman-ish look to my backwater (no pun intended) village.

If you'd like a more personal description of a nymphaeum, check out "The Murder of Regilla" (Sarah B. Pomeroy), a reconstructed biography of a Roman woman married off to a rich Greek (Herodes, a tutor of Marcus Aurelius).  She commissioned a Nymphaeum at the site of the Olympic games during her stint as the priestess of a temple there.  The statues included a dedication to the emperor and statues for all her children.

My Nymphaeum limits itself to the emperor...  Trajan or Hadrian, by my target era.

-Tim

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: Roman Nymphaeum
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 15:41:42 »
Very nice Tim!  Thank you for the pix, I especially like the fairy in the stump and the ducks.

Gepetto

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 17:08:14 »
Very nice, Tim.  It accomplishes your goal of giving some "civilization" to the "barbarian" landscape.  I can't wait to see your entire completed Roman diorama.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 20:13:47 »
I'm sure your backwater village will be very proud of its nymphaeum; it's a great looking custom.  I, too, like the ducks.  (We often walk by the canal into town and now is duckling season so each time there is a greater selection of ducklings swimming about ranging from today's arrivals to others a week old.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 21:27:16 »
it looks wonderfull - it certainly seems to have a tranquility of such a place ...

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 17:11:56 »

Hello, Timmy ...

Your Roman Nymphaeum reminded me of the Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle.

BTW ... I am really enjoying all your Roman customs.

All the best,
Richard

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:22:55 »
even better than the fantastic "nouveau-riche" hearst castle that richard remembered, i instantly thought about "villa adriana".  :love:
it was built in tivoly 19 centuries ago by the roman emperor hadrian and if you are a fan of the roman civilization you MUST really go there tim (it is not very far from rome - a 1/2 hour drive).  :yup:
great custom.
  :wow:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 23:38:34 »
I definitely have to go see that.

Wish I had the money to build my own.

My leaking water hose beside the house doesn't cut it.

-Tim