Author Topic: "Forest Folk" sets drawing on vintage children's illustration  (Read 5490 times)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
Re: "Forest Folk" sets drawing on vintage children's illustration
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 14:13:50 »
I would love all of those.. generelly we love odd critters... Just the bunnies rub us the wrong way..  Maybe they look too detailed next to the klickys? Don't know.

Yeah, I get that about them looking a little strange alongside regular klickys.  The Grasshoppers are delightfully odd too though, so I think they look less odd.

On a slight tangent, the bunnys would lend themselves very well to use with some of the knights stuff if anyone wanted to recreate some of these  :lol:

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 14:40:47 »
:lol:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 17:41:42 »
Those illuminated manuscript rabbits are quite scary, but one of the comments suggested they were a sort of medieval visual humour for Lay People (like the cartoon pages in a tabloid newspaper of today?). I think Terry Gilliam had seen these marginal rabbits when the Python team wrote Holy Grail!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 19:02:50 »
On a slight tangent, the bunnys would lend themselves very well to use with some of the knights stuff if anyone wanted to recreate some of these  :lol:

Eish. I'll have Knightmares.   :0

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 20:12:17 »
Eish. I'll have Knightmares.   :0

:lol: >:D

Those illuminated manuscript rabbits are quite scary, but one of the comments suggested they were a sort of medieval visual humour for Lay People (like the cartoon pages in a tabloid newspaper of today?). I think Terry Gilliam had seen these marginal rabbits when the Python team wrote Holy Grail!

Yes! & the comments are interesting for numerous reasons! (esp for me re. the linguistic, gendered & religious symbolism of hares & rabbits in that time, some of which I knew already) & I agree, Gilliam must have been aware of some of those when working on Holy Grail.     

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 02:50:07 »
Yeah, I get that about them looking a little strange alongside regular klickys.  The Grasshoppers are delightfully odd too though, so I think they look less odd.

YES! Someone mentioned the drolleries! Hoo boy the imagery we could get! How about giant snails for knights to mount/fight?  ;)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 04:54:47 »
YES! Someone mentioned the drolleries! Hoo boy the imagery we could get! How about giant snails for knights to mount/fight?  ;)

:heart: the drolleries are great right! :D

I'm ALL in for giant snails (I love snails, I had pet snails for a while many moons ago), but if they fight with the knights those knights better watch themselves! (I'm sorry klickies, but I'd have to root for the snails).  :lol:

(er, I've actually been looking for the 123 snail, because, SNAIL!!) :heart:

Oops! Not doing well staying on topic.. must think of more forest folk stuff & stop getting sidetracked by snail battling knights & murderous bunny people.  8} ::)  (seriously though, someone with knights please set some stuff up & take photos! :heart: :lol: )
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:46:20 by klickyklack »

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 14:02:19 »
:heart: the drolleries are great right! :D

I'm ALL in for giant snails (I love snails, I had pet snails for a while many moons ago), but if they fight with the knights those knights better watch themselves! (I'm sorry klickies, but I'd have to root for the snails).  :lol:

(er, I've actually been looking for the 123 snail, because, SNAIL!!) :heart:

Oops! Not doing well staying on topic.. must think of more forest folk stuff & stop getting sidetracked by snail battling knights & murderous bunny people.  8} ::)  (seriously though, someone with knights please set some stuff up & take photos! :heart: :lol: )

I could try drawing a giant, mountable snail.  >:D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 18:11:19 »
I saw it on Instagram and knew exactly where the ideas were coming from :D It's a great drawing, and there is even the 123 Snail that could be used for that