Author Topic: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL  (Read 44315 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 21:17:17 »

Hello, Michael ...  :wave:

do I get points for looking this up ?  ;) :lol:

Of course you get points for looking this up ...  :confetti:

However, you lose points for not finding the "correct" information on the early inserts ...  :P

All the best my friend,
Richard

Edit: misspelled "finding" ...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 21:28:59 by Richard »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 21:26:20 »

Hello, Gordon ...  :wave:

I must disagree, Richard.  My definition defines a construction toy as one where  "the main purpose of play use [is] the assembling of the loose parts together in order to produce a finished article", and I don't think this is the play use for the very great majority of Playmobil users.

Gordon, how do we know whether or not CONSTRUCTION, "is the play use for the very great majority of Playmobil users?"

Is there any valid research evidence that proves this theory (one way or the other)?

Do we even know, for sure, what the "great majority" of Playmofriends do with their Playmobil?

All the best my friend,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 21:34:53 »
Hello, Gordon ...  :wave:

Gordon, how do we know whether or not CONSTRUCTION, "is the play use for the very great majority of Playmobil users?"

Is there any valid research evidence that proves this theory (one way or the other)?

Do we even know, for sure, what the "great majority" of Playmofriends do with their Playmobil?

All the best my friend,
Richard

Are you suggesting that we agree to differ then?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 21:39:44 »

Hello again, Gordon ...  :wave:

Are you suggesting that we agree to differ then?

We could ... But, where's the "fun" in that ... ;)
(And, I'm afraid we'd disappoint Mr. Michael MacGayver.) ... :lol:

All the best old friend,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 22:45:00 »

And, Martin ... If the Sylvanian Families buildings pieces can be COMBINED to create NEW and DIFFERENT buildings, then it is also a Construction Toy !!!

Your definition and my definition of what makes a construction toy don't match, Richard, and I don't think they ever will.

You can stack pennies into walls and make new and different buildings, but that doesn't make them a construction toy.

If you had enough Scalextric track you could combine it into different circuits from that provided in the original box, but that doesn't make it a construction toy.

With Hornby railways people build all manner of different layouts, but that doesn't make it a construction toy.

Ther is a difference between a construction toy (Lego, Duplo, Meccano), and a toy that has elements of construction in it.

Taking that one element and ignoring all other parts of the range doesn't make the whole system a construction toy.

The scores so far:

For "Construction Toy " - Richard, Timotheos, Indianna

For "Figure-based Play System" - Playmofire, Cachalote, Macgayer, Count Bogro, Martin

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 23:05:29 »

Thanks for the "score tally," Martin ...

The scores so far:

For "Construction Toy " - Richard, Timotheos, Indianna

For "Figure-based Play System" - Playmofire, Cachalote, Macgayer, Count Bogro, Martin

Stand proud, Anne and Timmy ... It looks like we're winning ... :lol:

Thanks again, Martin.
And, all the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 02:45:36 »

Following Mr. MacGayver's example, I decided to do a little research of my own on the internet.

This topic did NOT begin as a discussion about whether or not Playmobil is a Construction Toy. However, since this has developed into a very interesting discussion, I wondered if it was just Anne, Timmy and me who thought that Playmobil is a Construction Toy.

Well, my research suggests that there are a lot of folks out there who view Playmobil as a Building and Construction Toy!

Click HERE for a quickie, and then go to Google and enter ... Building and construction toys. Playmobil? ... Very, very interesting ... ;)

All the best my friends,
Richard

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 03:48:05 »
Wow, It's been quite a discussion! I think it's safe to say that you CAN do alot of different things with Playmobil. People that want to build are able to and people that don't, don't have to :-)

I have continued with Playmobil because of it's building aspect, realizing that others use it for strictly imaginary play...I'd love to see the company continue with it all, best of both worlds so to speak.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:35 »
I should probably split this topic, as we have gone a little off the original subject...

Playmobil added construction elements and buildings to a figure system, in the same way that Lego added figures to a construction system, so there are elements of figures and construction in each.

For my money the Playmobil figures beat the Lego figures all ends up, and I didn't really enjoy the building part of Lego much to begin with, so my money has stayed with Playmobil. Meccano has also added figures, and I only saw a Meccano figure a few weeks ago for the first time, though they may have been around for years.

Any play system which has been around as long as Playmobil, Meccano or Lego, has naturally broadened its horizons enough to encompass many different styles of play.

In Playmobil's case the Steck and System X pieces allow and encourage adaption, extension, and modification, but there are still many sets that have no building parts at all, but still provide good play potential. I don't see these as an optional add-on to a building system, rather the buildings are an optional add-on to a figure system.

I came to the Playmobil world (or rather it came to me) in the ear before buildings, and have collected occasional sets over the ears, but not until last year did I possess a single set with a building piece. That was a small pirates dungeon, and not enough to build more than a tiny tower - though it certinly made the set more expensive.

Since then I've added a LOT of castle sets, which by their modular design can be used to construct different castles, and a few Western and Medieval buildings which are stand-alone structures with no obvious "construction" options.

There's a difference between construction and assembly.

btw, now I've seen those Sylvanian family buildings, I'm goig to check out the scale, if it's close enough they might be useful. There's a great windmill, and I don't think PM have done a full windmill in the European style that you can live inside. Now see what you've done! You have spawned a monster!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 09:20:42 »
... But Richard, I tried your links and came out with the top construction toy: Playmobil Soccer Match !!! I could hardly call that a construction set. And the second link is to a story that gives the Construction theme of PLaymobil a rating as "Construction toy" none of the other themes there  ;)

But I couldn't find one that said that Playmobil is a construction toy. I've tried to find a description from Geobra of what their vision is. But couldn't find it  :(

Perhaps we should just ask...

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.