Author Topic: 9202 Viking and son / Big and small Viking (Easter Egg 2017)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
It’s time for a short review of a nifty little set that I eagerly anticipated: 9209 Viking & Son!

It was one of the five Easter Eggs of 2017, and a happy return to the Viking theme that has been dormant for far too long. Is it a one-off, or does it herald great things beyond the horizon? For sure the upcoming How To Train Your Dragon would make relaunching a Viking line all the more opportune. A pipe dream, no doubt, but still – fingers crossed!

On to the set. The egg is supposed to be blue according to quite a few web shop images, but is red in the Playmobil web shop and in reality.

Egg contents:

and out of the bags:

Assembled set:

Highlights include the new-style weapons rack, thus far found only in the armoury carrying box 5637, brilliantly :love: topped with the Temple Guardians mask (4842, etc.): great for dressing up your Viking! The new colour shield is also quite nice.

But the true star is of course the main character. :love: Here are his precious parts:

and this is what he looks like from the back:

The design was inspired by Scottish motifs: note the tartan pattern underneath the body armour and on the skirt. I am not knowledgeable in that area but assume this is anachronistic (as is the helmet!), yet don't care – it is a toy, after all. For me, this is what he is meant to look like:

Also very nice is the little lad with the pretty hair (is it new?), obviously a chip off the old block:

This is the third juvenile Viking, after the hearty boy from 3151 & 7717 and the flashy but brooding young fellow (with a drinking problem…) from 3154. I like him best.

A very nice set, combining father and son in the trade. I can think of at least one similar set (father and son pirates of 5164), and wonder: are there more?

To sum up: is it any good? Yes. Go get it, or better still: two.

Best wishes
StJohn
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 21:31:47 by StJohn »

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Re: 9202 Viking and son / Big and small Viking (Easter Egg 2017)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:09:55 »
So a new torso print for the boy. I thought it was the same as the one that the boy has in the mediæval family add-on (6324) but this one shows the white under shirt behind the shirt whereas the add-on one shows skin. Might have to get the add-on before they retire it.
Like the colour of the shield and that wooden mask - that can be worn as a hat right?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 19:18:41 »
Love this one, that shield is a new color for the outer part which is nice. The figures are great.

Yes the brown hat fits on a standard klicky hair piece.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:24:00 »
Thanks for the review :)

They look great - I want to get a couple of this one!

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 23:59:53 »
Thanks 4 the review! I love the tartan - I hope we see more Scotsmen and some Scotswomen.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 00:28:42 »
This is definitely a great set - thanks for the review! It's nice that the Temple Guardian mask is being reused; that's a cool piece.
~Pynedor~

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:31 »
Thank you for the great pictures and the nice review StJohn.  I like him a lot and he and his son are somewhat versatile figures.  I have a feeling I'll be using him in a slightly modified version as a Celtic client king of Rome due the arm and waist pteruges.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 19:35:12 »
Thanks for the review, I do plan to get one sometimes soon. He looks pretty metal and the boy is great too.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 18:52:42 »
That boy would serve nicely in my medieval city  8-)  Thanks for the review!