Author Topic: New Roman set: 6868 Gladiator Games Starter Set  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: New Roman set: 6868 Gladiator Games Starter Set
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 05:31:24 »
Oh thanks a lot, I was wondering about this set and what it might look like close-up.
I'm especially interested in the walls and bases. They seem to match the colour of the Victorian mansions (either the yellowish-ones or the old beige/pink ones), so I'd like to use them for landscaping the Victorian garden or the park.

I was thinking that too. Not like I need to add more to my wish list...

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 19:29:50 »
Thank you for the review!  I was pretty happy when I saw this set advertised - it would be nice if there was more produced for the ancient world. 

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 23:49:03 »
Thanks everybody for your comments!

I'm especially interested in the walls and bases. They seem to match the colour of the Victorian mansions (either the yellowish-ones or the old beige/pink ones), so I'd like to use them for landscaping the Victorian garden or the park.

Unfortunately I don't have any Victorian mansion parts to compare! I attach a picture with various well-known bits and pieces of approximately similar colour - perhaps it will help clarify matters. Is it perhaps a new shade of colour? I'm useless at telling ... (my colour vision might be a little bit defective)

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 14:02:15 »
Oh hey thanks, that's actually really helpful  :)

It looks kinda pinkish, might work well with the old Victorian houses.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 19:49:30 »
I've got some information to share from the recent discussion of set 6868 at Klickywelt (log-in required).

Confrère Alexius pointed out that the protection bits are distributed wrongly in my display: the red gladiator is to wear the shield, and the blue one with the trident should hold the net (I hadn't looked properly at the box, where they are equipped correctly). He also explained the smooth helmet of the red gladiator as a measure to escape his opponent's net. In Latin the two would be retiarius ("net-fighter") and secutor ("pursuer"). Thank you, Alexius!

Comrade ANDi had another interesting bit of information, which made me feel bad for calling red gladiator a "dud", namely, that the very same figure already featured in the US exclusive set 5812, which so far has escaped me. Very good news: all of a sudden I like him much more! Just add a shoulder strap and he looks considerably better. Thank you, ANDi!

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 06:56:17 »
Thank you kind StJohn for sharing not only the smile but that bit of relevant info, thank you.

Share ...
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:50 »
On balance I think I am going to pass on this set. It has too much of the "slapped together" feel that people have noted. A strong contrast to the original Roman theme, which was strongly unified and visually consistent throughout.

Even one new gladiator would make this worth getting. But as it stands, it's not for me.

What they should do is make a set of klickies based on those friezes! Now that would be awesome.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 01:55:13 »
I really like those friezes - such a lot of effort put into them!  Good review there ;D 8-)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 03:02:59 »
"Scythe blades in black are new"
are they long enough to be fashioned into a hand held mace/weapon?(with some trimming of the blades of course).....assuming the rod is klicky hand-grip size ;)