Author Topic: it is still possible...  (Read 8186 times)

Offline matchboxluc

• custom master
  • Playmo Lover
  • seventies lover
it is still possible...
« on: December 16, 2005, 15:29:24 »
.... to find old sets in shops, but the bottom of the barrel is in sight. This is what I found today:
phantasy is in the mind, realisation is in my hands!

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
Re: it is still possible...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 17:20:04 »
Great finds!  We have a shop in town that has some old sets.  I got a couple of the jungle sets there, and I noticed they had the western saloon.  Hmmmm, maybe I'll drag DH over there today after the movie  ;D
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 21:05:47 »
Blimey! Wish I could find vintage stuff like that in the UK shops! 8-)

I think the oldest MIB set I ever found here that had been discontinued a while was a Mister Magic circus set a couple of years ago.

Your boxes look to be in excellent condition considering their age too, MBL. You've been very lucky to find those! :D

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 05:20:37 »
The best luck I had with some old stock was finding some old specials and a number of archers (3651)

http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3651.htm

And a RC Christmas Train.  (4035)

Meg

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 05:27:34 »
The only "old" item I ever found in a shop was the Dracula special in a shop in Seattle for $.99 ....but that was nice. Wonderful finds MBL! :)
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 07:31:27 »
mbl seems to be  a magnet for old Playmobil.  ;D

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 19:12:35 »
Okay, I couldn't stand it.  I swung by my favorite playmo store this morning, and they still had the Western Saloon (3787).  It was $55USD, so I'm not sure I got a good deal or not, but I couldn't pass it up (it's not even a theme I collect  :-[ )

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 19:20:35 »
  It was $55USD, so I'm not sure I got a good deal or not, but I couldn't pass it up (it's not even a theme I collect  :-[ )

Hopefully then it appears on the credit card account as dry goods or food! :lol:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 19:34:26 »
Okay, I couldn't stand it.  I swung by my favorite playmo store this morning, and they still had the Western Saloon (3787).  It was $55USD, so I'm not sure I got a good deal or not, but I couldn't pass it up (it's not even a theme I collect  :-[ )

It's not what one might call a bargain price, but as far as collectability and value for money is concerned, I think it was money well spent, Mal. :)9

That set is getting a lot harder to find these days and usually goes for much more than that on US eBay when MIB, unless trends have changed recently. ;) I love that saloon set, not least because it contains one of my favourite figs, the glamorous Molly Brown. ;D

I was going to encourage you to go back and buy it if you were able to afford it in my earlier post, but completely forgot. :-[
Glad to hear you got it. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 19:42:27 by Sylvia »

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 19:59:49 »
I like the Molly Brown figure too  ;D

They also had several of the Christmas sets with the light up tree ... but they were asking $27USD!!! for it.  I think I'll wait and see what DS can do for me, since I really only want the tree.