Author Topic: 5247 Native American Camp  (Read 9360 times)

Offline Gyps

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: 5247 Native American Camp
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 19:38:39 »
I've fallen in love with the brave in this set  :love: :love: 
Great photos Ras, thank you - this is now on my Christmas wish-list :lol:

Now to chant the chant (that I always do, whenever I buy something from a different theme) *I will NOT extend my Western any further, I will NOT extend my Western any further* ... nope, not working!  Still in love with that brave.. gah!
I've held this set in my grubby hands at TRU but didn't buy it. 
nuuh!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:29 »
Thanks for the detailed pics. I bough a few of the smaller new Western-sets (Marshall, bandits and covered wagon) but not the fort or the indians native americans... Still have to decide weither or not to get some of the latter to change them into Aztec, Maya or Inca... the shields definetly look designed with a possible South-American usage in mind.

Btw, isn't that totem-pole a religious symbol, Ras?  :P

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 05:50:37 »
Thank you for the review, Ras! I am looking forward to these new western sets!!!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 14:24:05 »
Btw, isn't that totem-pole a religious symbol, Ras?  :P

:lmao:

But actually, no, I don't think totem poles were religious, they had to do with keeping of ancestry records I believe. Kachina dolls had religious significance, though.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 15:46:42 »
The shields are Northwest Coastal, and don't look Inca/Aztec to me a t all. I guess because it's my home region.
Both depict Eagle or Thunderbird. Here is a good example of the frontal view by a Salish people artist http://www.pathgallery.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&specific=jppqknn8 and the other http://www.pathgallery.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&specific=jqknnpl0 by a Kwakwaka'wakw (Kwakiutl) people artist. The totem pole is also a NW Coastal item and is topped by an Eagle as well, so these must be Eagle clan guys except for the South Western woman (Navajo or Hopi) and the fact that they are dressed like Plains people and have a Plains tipi and horse in war paint.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 16:04:20 »
The shields are Northwest Coastal, and don't look Inca/Aztec to me a t all. I guess because it's my home region.
Both depict Eagle or Thunderbird. Here is a good example of the frontal view by a Salish people artist http://www.pathgallery.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&specific=jppqknn8 and the other http://www.pathgallery.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&specific=jqknnpl0 by a Kwakwaka'wakw (Kwakiutl) people artist. The totem pole is also a NW Coastal item and is topped by an Eagle as well, so these must be Eagle clan guys except for the South Western woman (Navajo or Hopi) and the fact that they are dressed like Plains people and have a Plains tipi and horse in war paint.

So basically you are saying, they got it all mixed up  :lol: Geobra does so well with most historical themes I wonder why they ditched the effort on the Native Americans? I know this is American history and a German toy company but the information is readily available, all they had to do really is ask you  ;) It seems they just want to satisfy the preconceived notions and expectations of bb's Zoo visitors  :P
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 16:22:25 »
 :lol: Yep, my little idiots would be more than satisfied. ;) Honestly for me the only glaringly wrong thing in the indian sets that I just can't live with is the totem poles. I mean, if they are nomadic tribes living in teepees, how would they carry a giant totem pole around? ::) Seems anyone could figure out that doesn't belong. So I just don't use them.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 16:55:42 »
:lol: Yep, my little idiots would be more than satisfied. ;) Honestly for me the only glaringly wrong thing in the indian sets that I just can't live with is the totem poles. I mean, if they are nomadic tribes living in teepees, how would they carry a giant totem pole around? ::) Seems anyone could figure out that doesn't belong. So I just don't use them.

Could you use them with a dio if it were placed with the Egyptian hut?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 17:01:34 »
Well....  the egyptian huts look more like adobe huts which would be made from mud and from more southwestern/desert tribes. The totem poles I believe were used by northern tribes, certainly in areas where there were a lot of big trees to make totem poles from. So I don't think they would mix with that type of structure either. I think they would go with wigwams, but I'm not an expert.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 17:04:22 »
Well....  the egyptian huts look more like adobe huts which would be made from mud and from more southwestern/desert tribes. The totem poles I believe were used by northern tribes, certainly in areas where there were a lot of big trees to make totem poles from. So I don't think they would mix with that type of structure either. I think they would go with wigwams, but I'm not an expert.

So then would they fit if a customized pirate/island hut was used, with lots of trees around?