Author Topic: .....make things " playmobil-like" or Playmobil suitable  (Read 8155 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
This thread in fact should be called, "How to TRY to make things Playmobil-like?"

All ideas come from need, they say. Here in Buenos Aires it is not easy to get PM spare parts (not to mention DS parts). It is not easy either, not to say impossible to get 1/12 scale doll house stuff.
So I have to work with what I have. Therefore the need to transform certain things that are not PM at all and don't fit the scale or the PM look.

As a Victorian fan I'm always trying to expand my collection and my accessories. So I was THRILLED to came across the most unusual items in the most unusual place.
I found some pencil sharpeners that are very Victorian and beautifully detailed. Of course they needed work.
Here is a pic. The one on the left is the original. Cute looking but kinda tacky. The white balls had ruff edges and looked "plastiky". So the first thing I did was change them for some bigger wood spheres that are better scaled and made the central one bigger that the rest to fit better the architectural style of the era.

What was needed then was the right scale. As it was, the post lamp was about 12cmts tall when I needed it to be around 20cmts. So the best option was to create a stone base, again to fit height and Victorian look.
The base is very simple. Just a wooden cube, some cartboard and foamboard. Here are a couple of pics to see the step by step process.

And this is what the whole lamp would look like. Now better in shape and scale. Then a pic with a clicky to show PM scale.

Now color. I tried the base to look the more similar as possible to the color on the 5300 house. Didn't want to make a color but to use it as it comes in order to be able to match future lamps. Here is the base painted.

Traditionally in Buenos Aires post lamps were English green or black. I decided to go for English green to make them look more sophisticated.

Of course the wooden balls were supposed to be glass so I painted them shiny white.

And the "piece de resistance" or the cherry of the cake, are the golden finials on the top of the glass globes.

I had this things for years, from when I had to make a scaled model building when I studied architecture. They are bra holders. Yep... they hold (at least then, they were sold for that) the strings of invisible bras. And they make the perfect finishing for my lamps.

I hope this help others to put their imagination working and find the right use for the most unusual stuff and TRY to make them look palymobil suitable.

:wave:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 18:03:12 by tonguello »
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: .....make things " playmobil-like" or Playmobil suitable
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:30 »
Fantastic job Gaston! :wow: Very ornate creation you have accomplished! Thank you for sharing this project with us!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:31 »
Those look fantastic, Gaston! Thank you for showing us how you did it! It's really cool.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:12:50 »
Absolutely gorgeous Gaston! Bravo!
They look PERFECT!
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:09 »
This really proves that Necessity is the mother of invention!  Brilliant work, Gaston.  Thanks so much for sharing your success.
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:52 »
They are wonderful Gaston,   :clap: :clap: :clap: :wow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you for showing us how you made them.
(I must admit though that I really can't get my head around "holders for strings of invisible bras"  8}  ???  ;D - even more so how you came to buy them!  ;) :lol:)

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:34 »

(I must admit though that I really can't get my head around "holders for strings of invisible bras"  8}  ???  ;D - even more so how you came to buy them!  ;) :lol:)

I guess I didn't read carefully enough the first time; I just now saw that statement. What in the world does that mean?  ???
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:11 »
They are wonderful Gaston,   :clap: :clap: :clap: :wow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you for showing us how you made them.

Elaine

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you all!

OK , I don't know how to explain it. Here "invisible bra" is the kind of bra that has very thin and transparent strings, so you can barely notice it even if the strings ARE visible  :lol:. The holders of those strings therefore must be very small and have a "jewelry" look. And that's it. How I found them is another story.
I was at college and had to make a scale model of a tensor structure. And a friend of mine came up with this idea.
Maybe if I post a pic of the real thing you can understand it more.... brb!
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:42:09 »
hope these are illustrative enough. is something like what necklaces have too.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:54:26 »
Magnificent! :clap: :clap:
Your stuff is art! :wow:
Steck is BACK! <:>