Author Topic: Tips for sticky / tacky softer plastic pieces?  (Read 3546 times)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
Tips for sticky / tacky softer plastic pieces?
« on: February 21, 2020, 20:36:11 »
Do any of you have any tips for tacky / sticky softer plastic pieces (such as feathers for Native American headbands, etc).  I'm assuming other people have run into this problem before.. 

I purchased some secondhand older late 80's sets recently & cleaned everything  as I usually do (warm water, washing up liquid) & when I was getting everything dry I noticed that a bunch of the feathers were sticky to the touch.  I'm assuming it's the plastic softening chemicals leaching out (?) but wondered if any of you had any tips to stop it being so sticky or do you just try & find/order replacement parts?

I'll include a photo showing the sticky feathers alongside one that wasn't sticky to the touch (non-sticky = 2nd from left).

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Tips for sticky / tacky softer plastic pieces?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 21:52:41 »
Actually, I have the same problem..

Looking forward to a solution as well :-[

Someone (not a collector) suggested "soaking" them in baby powder... I didn't try it yet. But they are useless as is, so not much to lose...

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 22:51:31 »
Actually, I have the same problem..

Looking forward to a solution as well :-[

Someone (not a collector) suggested "soaking" them in baby powder... I didn't try it yet. But they are useless as is, so not much to lose...

Thanks Tahra, that's interesting, I'd wondered about trying baby powder. I've used that in the past for doll hair (when the glue used to hold the hair plugs in softens & leaches out into the hair) & it was helpful with that (though it still took multiple applications & cool water washes to remove the majority of the stickiness).  I'll try it & see if it helps any!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 21:56:51 »
I haven't tried this on Playmobil, but it has worked on other plastic items when a stronger chemical doesn't seem like a good idea:  mayonnaise.  Just regular supermarket mayo in a jar - slather it on, leave it for a while, and clean with soap and water.  The only downside I know of is that it may make you crave a BLT.  :lol:

I think the vinegar in mayonnaise may be the key factor - it may be dissolving the stickiness while the consistency of the mayo holds it in place and, perhaps, makes the process more gentle than vinegar alone.  On the other hand, plain vinegar by itself may also work? 

I don't have any sticky Playmobil right now so I can't test this out, myself.  Whatever you try, good luck!   :wave:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 22:15:23 »
I haven't tried this on Playmobil, but it has worked on other plastic items when a stronger chemical doesn't seem like a good idea:  mayonnaise.  Just regular supermarket mayo in a jar - slather it on, leave it for a while, and clean with soap and water.  The only downside I know of is that it may make you crave a BLT.  :lol:

I think the vinegar in mayonnaise may be the key factor - it may be dissolving the stickiness while the consistency of the mayo holds it in place and, perhaps, makes the process more gentle than vinegar alone.  On the other hand, plain vinegar by itself may also work? 

I don't have any sticky Playmobil right now so I can't test this out, myself.  Whatever you try, good luck!   :wave:

Oh thanks Indanna, I guess I have a few things to test out now.   

I've used mayo before to rid jars of sticky glue, though I prefer to use margerine (I've heard peanut butter does the trick too).  I know a lot of people use stuff like goof off, rubbing alcohol, etc, to get rid of sticky glue, but things like mayo & margerine in my experience are far better (& easier) - just leave them on & then the glue wipes right off & they can be washed easily with no trace left (I do this pretty regularly to get glue off jars & it's SO easy, if messy).   I don't think it's the vinegar in mayo that does the trick - I think it's the oil.

I'll do some tests with baby powder & margerine & see which ends up less sticky.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 17:52:56 »
:o

Mayo?! Seriously?!

Mind boggles.

I also have plenty of junk set aside to remove stickers (you know, glass containers from food and such), I never heard of that! I need to buy some cheap mayo and try!

(I never tested the baby powder - so much to do, I always seem to leave a lot for "next time"...)

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 18:57:45 »
:o

Mayo?! Seriously?!

Mind boggles.

I also have plenty of junk set aside to remove stickers (you know, glass containers from food and such), I never heard of that! I need to buy some cheap mayo and try!

(I never tested the baby powder - so much to do, I always seem to leave a lot for "next time"...)

The only reason I don't like using mayo is it tends to be smellier (because of the eggs in mayo, & eggy smells gross me out) & that's not an issue with margerine or a butter substitute "spread".  Leave it on overnight, or longer for more stubborn glue & the glue will just wipe off with a cloth/some kitchen roll.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 19:40:48 »
The only reason I don't like using mayo is it tends to be smellier (because of the eggs in mayo, & eggy smells gross me out) & that's not an issue with margerine or a butter substitute "spread".  Leave it on overnight, or longer for more stubborn glue & the glue will just wipe off with a cloth/some kitchen roll.

Well, margerine will work too! ;)

Thank you for the tip!

Offline klickyklack

• Playmo Lover
    • klickyklack (IG)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 11:44:56 »
I tried it with some feathers, left 1 in baby powder & another in marg for 24 hours.  I wiped & cleaned them both off afterwards & left them to dry overnight, & I personally think the talc one feels slightly less tacky.  Both feel better than they did (& both had previously been cleaned but were still tacky) but the stickiness hasn't entirely gone.  Definitely better though.

The one that had marg on doesn't smell too good (I have a strong sense of smell) so for future ones I'll stick to the baby powder.  I can still smell marg on the feather even after 2 washes & drying over night (& have now put that one in baby powder to try & reduce the stickiness & hopefully get rid of/mask the smell).  I took photos, but don't have time to upload them, so I'll save that for later..

Well, margerine will work too! ;)

Thank you for the tip!

Certain glues it just doesn't work with, so with those I end up re-washing & going the rubbing alcohol & the like route, but I always try marg first now.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 16:30:13 »
I will have to try to drown mine in baby powder..  The advantage is that it's not greasy.. I mean, you can't really leave smears of margerine or mayo on playmoparts, right?