General > Brainstorming For Playmobil

Design by Committee?

(1/4) > >>

Martin Milner:
From "The Story of a Smile" p60:

--- Quote ---When a new figure needs to be created, the designers first ...pick up a printed slide to prepare a fashion show containing 20 different outfits. Anyone who walks past the desk gives his or her opinion, until the choice is down to just two or three figures. The a team from the marketing and sales department makes ther final decision...
--- End quote ---

We as a group have remarked on how a new figure is, to our way of seeing, occasionally slightly wrong in one area (e.g. the legs of 4670 Crusader are gold, not silver), and I wonder if this "design by committee" might be the reason?

Klickus Mobilius:
Hmm...this would explain much.   :hmm:

CountBogro:

--- Quote from: Klickus Mobilius on March 11, 2009, 08:10:01 ---Hmm...this would explain much.   :hmm:

--- End quote ---

actually, it doesn't.
Anyone walking past must have seen that the golden legs are wrong ? ? ?  ??? ? ? ?

Or are they blind  8-)

Martin Milner:
Well it seems that, instead of a researcher checking on the historically accurate colours and styles, and then choosing parts based on that research, that we have people saying "oh, that looks pretty", and I'm not entiely sure it's leading to the best results in all cases.

Bill Blackhurst:

--- Quote from: Martin Milner on March 11, 2009, 12:18:05 ---Well it seems that, instead of a researcher checking on the historically accurate colours and styles, and then choosing parts based on that research, that we have people saying "oh, that looks pretty", and I'm not entiely sure it's leading to the best results in all cases.

--- End quote ---

We must however remember Martin, that these are to be "somewhat" historically accurate, but overall attractive to children, so "that looks pretty" does have a lot to do with it although the pink or fuchsia barbarian figures, what were they thinking  :doh:, let's try this color for a violent theme that we have never tried before ???  :lol:? Buzz, WRONG!  :no: ! Or was it? The,...."This is ugly on our faces, not stupid!" error syndrome?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version