Author Topic: 5825 Crusaders blister pack  (Read 7212 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
5825 Crusaders blister pack
« on: November 07, 2008, 17:37:54 »
Well here we have one more of the new packs form Playmobil . " The Crusades were a series of religion driven military campaigns waged by much of Christian Europe against external and internal opponents. Crusades were fought mainly against Muslims, though campaigns were also directed against pagan Slavs, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians and political enemies of the popes. Crusaders took vows and were granted an indulgence for past sins ( how convenient )."  Wikipedia makes them sound like some sort of Religious extremist who were quite intolerant of others . Some how the smiling face makes them seem so innocent 0)

Here we have one of the Klickers that is basically a 4625 special with some minor differences . The flag & pole are not included

The other fella is also similar to an older special, the 4534 Temple Knight , but again with some differences ( different helmet )

The pack is a great bargain even though it is missing a few parts . I picked it up on sale for $2.49 and i have not found any other deals this good . I hope Playmobil will now introduce a Muslim blister pack and we will be able to recreate the bloodshed for their God's sake, and get some stories for Garden War Games  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 15:39:28 by Martin Milner »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: 5825 Crusasders blister pack
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:44 »
Hi Rasputin

Good review.

The Wikipedia article over-generalizes.

During the first crusade, at least, most of the nobility were landless second and third sons who were seeking their own place in the sun (no kings went on the first crusade).  The church's big reason behind promoting the first crusade was to get the large number of unemployed soldiers out of Western Europe.  A recent spate of pilgrims (tourists) being robbed or taken hostage en route to the middle east pilgrimage sites (tourist destinations) was another reason.

So, the image of a mob of religious fanatics setting off for Jesus is an over-simplification.
The thinking of the first crusading army as a mob is not off the mark.  The Crusaders of 1099 experienced a series of extraordinary lucky breaks (against the Turks in Asia Minor and against the Egyptians at Damascus and later at Jerusalem).  This fantastic luck contributed to them believing that they had god on their side.

Source: Sir Stephen Runciman's "The History of the Crusades" Vol I.

I know far less about the later Crusades.  By the third crusade, when Richard the Lionheart and St Louis (the first wave of royal crusaders) entered the fray, the middle east was a mesh of petty kingdoms, some Muslem and some Christian, shifting alliances between each other.  The interlopers from Europe (ie. Louis and Richard) were there for glory, didn't understand the subtlety of the political situation, and skirmished with the Christians' Muslem allies.  Saladin and his predecessor, Nur ad Din, wielding awesome military might and forcing alliances from the Christian-friendly muslems annihilated the Christian forces in battle after battle.*

* My knowledge of the third crusade is hazier than the first, because I never finished Runciman's "The History of the Crusades" vol 2.  The subsequent crusades were sloppy campaigns to regain what was lost in the middle east.  One crusading army even sacked Constantinople.  Another was butchered to the last man in Asia Minor. 

A major ally to the Western Europeans were the Genoese, who profited much from holding monopoly over the sea trade routes from the Levant, and also made money transporting soldiers and migrants to and from the Levant.

The crusades make really good reading.
-Tim   

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 03:37:07 »
Thank you for that much more in-depth understanding on the first and second crusades . I guess you have 7 more to go  ;D so it sure better be good reading  ;) I sure agree wikipedia has a way of giving the shortest answer to what is what and who is who ( leaving lots of room for misinterpretation )
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 15:10:56 »
Encyclopedia's generally do that, Rasputin.
They provide a quick and easy to understand answer or provide a nice starting point for more research but are never ever complete.

Bringing the whole topic back to subject. I do like that blister and would love to buy a few of them here (if ever available) allthough I don't like the helmet of the left crusader (the one with the red cross). I do prefer the original one.

But that's me  ;D

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 20:03:29 »
Bringing the whole topic back to subject. I do like that blister and would love to buy a few of them here (if ever available) allthough I don't like the helmet of the left crusader (the one with the red cross). I do prefer the original one.

The barbutte helmet PM replaced the spangenhelm with is a 13th century Italian style helmet (modeled after the ancient Greek style).  It was a popular infantry helmet among Italian mercenaries fighting in England during the War of the Roses.

The way I see it:
I'm just happy PM didn't give him that stupid bear-faced helmet from the "barbarian" theme.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: 5825 Crusaders blister pack
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:17 »
I was finally able to find these at my local Toys R Us yesterday.  They had a large bin of the blister packs and were $4 each (the regular price is $5 each [20% higher than Playmobil.ca], but they have all the Playmobil at 20% off), so I grabbed 5 packs.   

I also grabbed a 5815 and a 5876.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:51:43 »
I think I bought 10 of these!! Nice army building pack these blisters!!!! I only wish we could also get the one with the 4583 sentry in it!

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:28 »
I think I bought 10 of these!! Nice army building pack these blisters!!!! I only wish we could also get the one with the 4583 sentry in it!
Same here. I remember reading a thread there would be a blister set featuring the Western Theme, with the union and confederate soldiers. Do you spot any of them in Target? I noticed there are two new blisters, one with red and yello pirates, but I am so let down by the boring evil looking red eye captain. His whole look just got ruined :'(

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:51 »
Talking about the 5818....though I dont have it, but it is a good way to get the older specials back. You know what, I am so lucky to get the other half of 5818 from ebay, at US$1.7 USD!!!!!!! Adding the shipping from singapore is still cheap.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:18:04 »
Same here. I remember reading a thread there would be a blister set featuring the Western Theme, with the union and confederate soldiers.

That ACW blister 5799 is one of the recent Playmobil Marketing mysteries. The only person on Playmofriends who has seen it was Gustavo in Brasil.

Here's the thread where we discussed it the first time:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=3478.0