Author Topic: West Coast Bay Area California  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
West Coast Bay Area California
« on: October 05, 2021, 13:34:16 »
The site i used to put in the train show contacted me. The x husband who ran the Home & Garden expo (he saw the value in hobby trains) retired after my last show. His x wife was given the expo and she saw no value in “us nutty collectors”. A feeble attempts was made to move to the Charles Schultz Discovery Museum (snoopy) but space was limited and the event was too short for a big diorama.

Well I guess the money bug finally came home to roost and the wife finally realized the benefit of silly collectors and their insatiable hobby drawing in the paying customers and their annoying offspring.

So I was contacted and asked to join in, and please put up a diorama once again, they’ll pay me this time.

some business person actually saw the faint blue light in their head turn on

Now if only playmo-US would show some support this time, just think of all the grass root advertising and PR ……
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: West Coast Bay Area California
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 14:08:04 »
It's great that she saw the light :)  Do post pics!  ;D

Now if only playmo-US would show some support this time, just think of all the grass root advertising and PR ……

Are you NUTS?!? Imagine that... what if people figured out this is NOT lego, and then they'd want to... <gasp> BUY IT! The HORROR. Money. Foreign money. Yuck.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 15:38:17 »
As one who has run successful businesses, if some “collector” was willing to promote my product free of charge and was requesting some already free catalogs and perhaps a few dozen keychains to hand out to future consumers …..hmmmm?  Nope it’s “that guy who asks questions” about his chosen hobby . Luckily I do have great generous playmofriends and they do see the value. Hats off to R.S.

Currently I have plans on building a warehouse for private dioramas and other generous non-playmofriends whom have offered up their warehouses for private shows in the future.

Yes pictures as always
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 15:53:13 »
As one who has run successful businesses, if some “collector” was willing to promote my product free of charge and was requesting some already free catalogs and perhaps a few dozen keychains to hand out to future consumers …..hmmmm?  Nope it’s “that guy who asks questions” about his chosen hobby .

I believe playmobil was very clear on their feelings about us collectors. :(

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 16:41:27 »
I believe playmobil was very clear on their feelings about us collectors. :(

I think the one hope in your comment is the word 'was'
With Playmobil so seemingly disorganized and chasing after other businesses' success maybe they will eventually try copying the AFOL route from LEGO.  They are certainly going down the licenses aimed at adult collectors route, so there is a glimmer of hope there.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 17:07:47 »
I think the one hope in your comment is the word 'was'
With Playmobil so seemingly disorganized and chasing after other businesses' success maybe they will eventually try copying the AFOL route from LEGO.  They are certainly going down the licenses aimed at adult collectors route, so there is a glimmer of hope there.

Not how I meant it, but.... let's hope you're right.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 18:15:08 »
Yes, that’s the odd thing about Geobra’s decisions.

On one hand they make it challenging to deal with or work with them (PCC)

On the other they want to work with us by giving us access to massive parts orders and making the most expensive set playmo has ever had , which in my opinion is really only targeted at adults and serious collectors

It makes them look illogical

Offline Joshua D

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 23:12:10 »
I would love to have a space to display my stuff. It would be great to have an exhibition on the west coast, my son is into it now as well as trains so it would be fun. I have a hard time just finding a train show in my area!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 14:56:04 »
I am a bit too busy currently building some houses up in the mountains but I could get the use of warehouses for dioramas and shows for a west coast event . It would probably be best if it was planned out with the other west coast members as there are quite some creative people here. Then it’s not just a diorama event but a meet and greet as well.

I’m in Sonoma County for reference

Offline Joshua D

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 10:03:29 »
Ah okay. I am in L.A. county, not sure how many more California collectors there are but, I would definitely make the trip up there for something worthwhile.