Author Topic: Pictures of Playmobil Past  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Klicky_Ghost

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Pictures of Playmobil Past
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 07:20:28 »
As the day was damp and misty, I spent yesterday evening continuing to look through the many photograph albums in the study. Transfixed by the somber faces rendered in black and white, I scarcely noticed that darkness had fallen and the gentle drizzle of rain had turned into a heavy downpour. When I got up and flipped the switch to turn on the light, I realized that the electricity had gone out throughout the house! Luckily, there are plenty of old oil lamps and candles that I then put to good use. With the study lit in a dim and eerie glow, I continued to peruse the portraits; in the flickering light, their eyes seemed to follow my gaze across the pages. After looking at so many old photos, one begins to feel almost haunted.

And haunted I well may be after what I discovered next!

As Hadoque mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a fashion during the 19th century for photographing subjects post mortem. While this may seem strange to us today, one must remember that we live in a world where we may have hundreds of pictures of friends and loved ones to serve as keepsakes and mementos; during the early days of photography, one was lucky to have even one photographic portrait by which to remember one's relatives.

Last night, in the ghostly light of the study, I came across one such post mortem photograph.

On the back of the photograph is written: "Memorial portrait of Lydia Ashburn with parents, Mr. & Mrs. John T. Ashburn, 1889." John Ashburn was a well-to-do banker in town, and the Ashburn family was one of the early families to live in the house. I'm unsure if the photograph was taken in a studio or in the house, but the wallpaper does seem to match that found in the dining room downstairs  :o

The 19th century also saw mainstream interest in spiritualism—the idea that the living could interact with and communicate with the spirits of the dead. As one may imagine, this led to all sorts of frauds and hoaxes, from so-called psychics and mediums, to special devices that could help one communicate with the spirit world. I tend to be a staunch skeptic in most cases, but sitting in that all-to-quiet study, lit with nothing but a dim and ghostly candlelight and the rain hitting upon the window glass, I began to wonder if I was truly alone in the room.

If the dead could speak, would we want to hear what they had to say?

I must confess, my heart skipped a beat when the light landed upon the image I found next...

One of the more interesting phenomenon from this period was the fad of fraudulent "spirit photography." Often, an assistant or accomplice dressed in a sheet would sneak out behind the unsuspecting sitter while the picture was being taken; the ghostly image would only become apparent after the photograph was developed. This seems to be the case with the Daguerreotype photograph found above. The only information about the photograph is written on a paper tag inside, which says simply "Bernice, 1849."

To end the post on a slightly lighter note, I thought I would share a portrait of the previously-mentioned Count von Stein, of whom I already shared a few photos. The portrait, which dates to the early 1860s, hangs in one of the many luxurious châteaux just outside of Paris at which the Count stayed during his time in France.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:22:13 by Klicky_Ghost »
We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour for lunch, and then at two we're done.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 08:53:08 »
Priceless!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 18:59:58 »
Great stuff!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klicky_Ghost

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 07:55:12 »
In the light of the day, the old Victorian mansion seems far less threatening, and I almost feel silly for letting myself get spooked the other night. Since it was a bright and sunny morning, I opened all the windows to air out the dusty old place, and continued to sort through some cabinets in the sitting room. 

In accordance with the fine weather, today's finds were far more pleasant than the previous discoveries...though, dare I say, a good deal racier.

In a large leather-bound portfolio full of papers, I came across two old advertising playbills featuring the famed Miss Lorraine "Lola" Montez. Lola was one of the top cabaret performers at the Moulin Rouge during the 1890s and early 1900s. The advertisements seem to be directly referencing one of Lola's popular acts in which she performed an entire set while lounging in a bathtub. Even though she was fully clothed, this caused a sensation that made her famous. These prints date to around 1901.

For those who may have felt that poor "Bernice" from the last post was cheated out of a proper portrait by an unscrupulous photographer, fear not—I have come across another portrait of Bernice DuBois, this one a proper portrait painted around the same time as the previously-seen "ghost image."

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:05:50 by Klicky_Ghost »
We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour for lunch, and then at two we're done.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 05:57:48 »
I adore your creative work in terms of the treatment you applied to these wonderful pictures  :love: :love: :love:

Each picture tells a story of its own in such a lively way !

Are you on Instagram at all ?
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 11:53:18 »
Love the pictures and the stories:)

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 10:13:01 »
Alright I’ll admit that I had no idea what was going on with these great pictures at first. I was like, cleaning out your Victorian mansion? Have people taken these pictures in the past, do you have a Victorian mansion or is it the set you referenced...confusion has mostly passed and now realize my brain still has a lot to learn : )......anyway, these pictures are great, a lot of talent and the background stories add a lot as well. Great job!

Offline Klicky_Ghost

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 16:18:11 »
Thank you to everyone for the very kind and encouraging comments!  :love: I am definitely not a photographer, so I am still learning how to take decent pictures of Playmobil, as well as working out things like proper lighting, angles, and photo editing. I am definitely having fun experimenting, and I am glad that these are enjoyable to others. Feel free to offer any ideas or suggestions (as well as critiques)!

I adore your creative work in terms of the treatment you applied to these wonderful pictures  :love: :love: :love:

Thank you! I am using a combination of Adobe Photoshop CS3, and the VirtualPainter program. I am looking forward to trying out the programs you mentioned in another thread!

Are you on Instagram at all ?

I am, but only as a personal account that posts pictures of historical buildings and houses in my local area. I would consider setting up a secondary account for Playmo-pictures if that is the sort of thing that might be enjoyed there.

Alright I’ll admit that I had no idea what was going on with these great pictures at first. I was like, cleaning out your Victorian mansion?

Sorry for the confusion!  8} When initially creating this thread, I wasn't sure whether to include it under the "Photography & Graphics" category or the "Story-Telling" category, as it is a bit of both. I ultimately decided on the former, since the main focus was the pictures and graphics, and the story was more of a narrative framework to give context to the pictures. Plus, that's kind of how I've always played with my Playmobil—giving them elaborate and probably unnecessary histories and backstories. When I was a child and mostly played with the knights sets, I would often put my Playmobil on trial for treason or witchcraft and sentence them death, complete with a public execution. Of course, this was in the days before taking pictures was as simple as it is now, so I have no documentation of these events (Which is probably a good thing  :P ). Now, I'm mainly obsessed with the 19th century. I do own the Victorian mansion (set 5300), but I don't want to post pictures of it until the renovations are complete, which will probably not be until late summer.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:24:36 by Klicky_Ghost »

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 21:03:04 »
Great pictures, it seems you have many sets and accessories according to the pictures! I'm looking forward to see more hidden treasures ;)
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 23:52:49 »
No I think I was the only one confused at first, my brain is just slow. I think it is all terrific and I love the history/backstories you have provided. Well done!..