Author Topic: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 Theme  (Read 12134 times)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 Theme
« on: April 14, 2018, 10:54:28 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

Following the huge success of the Sylvanian Families New Town Series, I very much hope that Playmobil will follow the trend with a few Victorian / 1900 Collector pieces or even reviving the theme  :love:

I have a feeling that one should never say never in life and that also applies to Toys Brands following trends...

I will certainly be keeping you updated as Inspector Karim is back on the case  :lens:
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
Re: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 Theme
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 16:48:49 »
I'm very surprised that none of the smaller sets haven't been re-issued via Direct Service - though I have seen a couple of the Yellow Lady from the Park Fence 5360 set pop up on eBay from some Maltese sellers, which did make me wonder if some little sets were coming for Direct Service.

We've had the various re-issued Cars/Ford-T Trucks, the piano, the lamp post, park fence and the advertising column.

Personally I'd love to see 5503 (Lady with luggage) or 5400 (flower seller) which would be affordable and fill in gaps in lots of people's collections.

I doubt they could revive the mansion of the simply fact that (certainly in the UK) you can easily pick the house up for maybe £150 on eBay with furniture, less if you're willing to hold out. When they stopped making 5300 it was selling for £125 in the shops, so it's hard to see how they could sell it.

What I would personally love to see is a revival with a smaller house/shop - so one room/3 windows wide, with a shop on the ground floor and then a floor and attic above, with a gable rather than a hipped roof. Their could be a range of shop interiors, and it would mostly be recycled moulds, and it would be a different range for them.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they designed a Town Square Fountain for the 1900 range that was never produced, which obviously I'd LOVE to see!

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 17:00:31 »
Strange that they don't take a leaf out of Sylvanian's playbook and do the theme for years, slowly adding new bits here and there. Collectors love that kind of thing.   :eh?:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 18:12:21 »
Strange that they don't take a leaf out of Sylvanian's playbook and do the theme for years, slowly adding new bits here and there. Collectors love that kind of thing.   :eh?:

Well... you kinda answered yourself...

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:45 »

Do Sylvanian Families Families do 'themes' ?

I've read a few times that toy sales are very novelty led, which I assume is why they constantly launch/revamp new themes

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 20:10:38 »
All Sylvanian sets fit into a retro Victorian theme. (there are no cyberpunk Sylvanians). Compared to PM, Sylvanian is all one theme.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 21:19:33 »
That's sort of my point - you can't really be adding to a theme if you only ever made one theme - in fact, the town sets are being billed as a big new development

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 21:45:27 »
All Sylvanian sets fit into a retro Victorian theme. (there are no cyberpunk Sylvanians). Compared to PM, Sylvanian is all one theme.

Not all, there are two 1950/1960s cars in the range, a Morris Minor and an Austin A40 and a more  modern one, maybe based on a Peugeot, a mini-bus type vehicle and camper van and an ice cream van.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:26:05 »
Right, and the point is that PM has (had) a theme that they could continue doing for a long time. The Victorian theme. That's what they should/could have been doing all along. Is my point.  :wave:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 16:54:36 »
Back in 2011 I bought 10 victorian houses and lots of victorian sets ( see my vid in my youtube channel) and i have to say its one of the best themes/collection ofsets that playmobil ever created. I am sorry to say but in my opinion today's sets pale in comparison to the quality, attention to details, aesthetics and ethics of the old sets  :)
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: