Author Topic: Lay off the Militarism  (Read 733 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Lay off the Militarism
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 17:13:23 »
What is that supposed to be?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 20:48:24 »

:love:
I was thinking that as I wrote my post. Number 4 is the one that had the yellow submarine in it - had to be yellow of course.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 20:50:59 »
What is that supposed to be?

You've not heard of the Thunderbirds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLiH4xrCITI

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 03:25:28 »
You've not heard of the Thunderbirds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLiH4xrCITI

Is that a satire show ? Was this on TV ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 06:04:10 »
I need some militarism. Otherwise, I can’t continue expanding my 30- and 7-Years War soldiers, nor my sword-swinging Germans…

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 06:30:14 »
Is that a satire show ? Was this on TV ?
I think it was originally produced in the 60s but it was still airing when I was a kid a couple of decades later. There were a series of tv programmes using puppets with the technology being called supermarianation - Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and probably some others. A tv series called Terrahawks was made by one of the creators in the 80s.
There was a spoof movie using the same technology made in the early 2000s called 'Team America: World Police' but the original shows were meant to be serious but aimed at children.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 09:17:36 »

I watched it back in the day. Although the vehicles and special effects were good, even as a child I could spot the clunkiness in some scenes. For example, in the picture above, the right rear supporting leg of Thunderbird 2 is clearly too short, so the back end of the aircraft isn't level!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 08:25:36 »
I vote to keep the militarism in.  Playing 'good guys' vs 'bad guys' is central to boys' play, and minds ( = territorial dialectics ) — hence the natural desire for weapons and fortresses.  If they don't get it through Playmobil, they'll get it via Lego, instead ( ex: "Star Wars" — what could be more militaristic than that? ).  Swat Team is merely a popular theme; but boys' play-patterns will remain the same, regardless.  ..."THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:47:17 by JPSA »

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 08:49:23 »
I watched it back in the day. Although the vehicles and special effects were good, even as a child I could spot the clunkiness in some scenes. For example, in the picture above, the right rear supporting leg of Thunderbird 2 is clearly too short, so the back end of the aircraft isn't level!
I'm not sure where that image came from but it's not from the original show which had a lot more detail in the hangar. It was clunky of course being a show using puppets but very good compared to other fx driven shows of the time.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 12:48:04 »
I just got the image off the net, but it could be a fan creation rather than a Gerry Anderson original, which might explain the discrepancy.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)