Author Topic: Why is the Western Fort empty, and where is the cavalry?!  (Read 6558 times)

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Why is the Western Fort empty, and where is the cavalry?!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 05:50:34 »
minor factcheck here: the wild west ended around 1910, just over a century ago.

Right, but most of the actual fighting of the American Indian wars, and settling, took place around 1800 ( + or - 50 years ).  Wikipedia stretching the period's end date forward is ideologically motivated, imo.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 13:51:40 by JPSA »

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 06:00:45 »
Also not true. The "Wild West" period proper postdates the American Civil War. There were plenty of US/Indian conflicts between 1865-1910. Also remember the frontier moved: the conflicts in 1800 were happening in e.g. Michigan, in 1880 in e.g. Arizona. The date of 1910 for the closing of the west has been standard for as long as I can remember.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 06:05:35 »
Also not true. The "Wild West" period proper postdates the American Civil War. There were plenty of US/Indian conflicts between 1865-1910. Also remember the frontier moved: the conflicts in 1800 were happening in e.g. Michigan, in 1880 in e.g. Arizona. The date of 1910 for the closing of the west has been standard for as long as I can remember.

I wasn't including the Civil War.  I was referring to the main — as in most — of the armed conflict between western settlers + the Cavalry and Indians.  The Civil War is a different affair, and this is not what kids refer to when they ( used to ) play 'Cowboys and Indians'.  Note: There may have been a number of flare-ups after the Civil War, but the fate of the American West was already pretty much determined, by then ( as in "settled" ). ☺
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:26:53 by JPSA »

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 06:26:20 »
I wasn't including the Civil War either, as you will see if you read my post with care.

Your assertion that the bulk of the settlement of North America was over by around 1800 doesn't stand up to even a moment's scrutiny. Lewis and Clark trudged through a couple thousand miles of Indian land in 1806. And I restate the fact that the classic "Wild West" period, the one depicted in PM sets, occurred after 1865.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 06:28:43 »
I wasn't including the Civil War either, as you will see if you read my post with care.

Your assertion that the bulk of the settlement of North America was over by around 1800 doesn't stand up to even a moment's scrutiny. Lewis and Clark trudged through a couple thousand miles of Indian land in 1806. And I restate the fact that the classic "Wild West" period, the one depicted in PM sets, occurred after 1865.

Okay.  1800, + or - roughly 70 years, for most of it ( i.e. majority of major armed conflicts between western settlers + Cavalry and Indians, commonly though of as 'Cowboys and Indians' in popular culture ).  It is still 150 years ago, or so ( 6 generations ), for most of it!  Well past the "DO NOT SELL UNTIL" period, imo.

The Playmobil western theme can indeed be made to depict a broader bracket — it's up to the users, since precise dates are not given.  ...One can even create a scene with a movie crew filming a western!  My main point, though, is that it should be up to consumers to decide.

P.S. As an aside, I find the inclusion of a full-fledged western town in the 2019 Playmobil Movie rather ironic, given what we've been discussing.  It's as if Geobra is basically saying: "You can play with the western town, you can play with the Indians, and the cowboys, you can even play with the fort, BUT...  you can't play with the cavalry!  Because that's baaad."  :lol:  ...Get real, Geobra!!!

The Playmobil Movie ( 2019 )
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 19:06:07 by JPSA »

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 07:50:14 »
It's not the first time they've re-released a set without the original "bits." Maybe they just found a few spares in the warehouse.  :lol: Given the current selection, I think your options are (a) have the bandits - or pirates - take over the fort or (b) have the fort be a historical site near your modern city.

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 08:02:52 »
It's not the first time they've re-released a set without the original "bits." Maybe they just found a few spares in the warehouse.  :lol: Given the current selection, I think your options are (a) have the bandits - or pirates - take over the fort or (b) have the fort be a historical site near your modern city.

Hi Ismene!

Don't worry, I got a bundle that included a few cowboys.  Awesome deal, btw ( alleged "unpopularity" has its advantages ☺)!  ...Besides, I have a feeling my nephew will promptly turn the fort into Spy Team's next hangout, to defend against the Darksters' next attack, or possibly Dracula's posse ( I got him a vampire klicky two weeks ago, and he's become the new main bad guy in town )!  :)

Note: Given the current red-hot cultural war going on in the US, especially, I suspect the omission might have been deliberate ( as others have indicated ); and I hate having a corporation implicitly tell me what's 'right' ( or 'left', as it were ). ☺
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 14:18:04 by JPSA »

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:43 »
Note: Given the current red-hot cultural war going on in the US, especially, I suspect the omission might have been deliberate ( as others have indicated ); and I hate having a corporation implicitly telling me what's 'right' ( or 'left' ). ☺

Same. All these political/cultural wars are exhausting. I wish people would just quit being so overly sensitive about certain topics and learn to let some stuff slide. History happened, and no amount of alterations or omissions will change what was. And should it make you uncomfortable, don't reenact it! Make up your own plot they're toys for crying out loud!

On another note, I now wish they'd release some of those Western buildings in that screenshot. I'd love to have an inn and a barber for my townsfolk and what few soldiers I have.

Offline JPSA

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 09:36:10 »
Hey Janilew.

I totally agree. The culture war is, as you said, exhausting, as it is non-stop and everywhere!  And it's not just in the US, the same thing is afflicting Europe — albeit to a lesser extent, but they are quickly catching on ( it's a major US export )!  The perverse thing, is that if people lie low and don't take a stand, they'll get stripped of their freedoms, little by little.  For example, Playmobil used to sell the cavalry, and the confederates too!  And it used to be O-kay.  ...It's as if, as time goes on, our freedom to choose and to express ourselves, is shrinking!  In a way, I posit that we are collectively less free today, than we were, say, 20 years ago ( let alone 40 years ago )!  That can't be right.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 13:55:17 by JPSA »

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 10:38:13 »
Hey Janilew.

I totally agree. The culture war is, as you said, exhausting, as it is non-stop and everywhere!  And it's not just in the US, the same thing is afflicting Europe — albeit to a lesser extent, but they are quickly catching on ( it's a major US export )!  The perverse thing, is that if people lie low and don't take a stand, they'll get stripped of their freedoms, little by little.  For example, Playmobil used to sell the cavalry, and the confederates too!  And it used to be Okay.  ...It's as if, as time goes on, our freedom to choose and to express ourselves, is shrinking!  In a way, I posit that we are collectively less free today, than we were, say, 20 years ago ( let alone 40 years ago )!  That can't be right.

What a world, what a world. Political correctness is poisoning us all. That's why I wish I had the energy and supplies to just make my own Playmobil stuff (and toys in general) from scratch so I could bypass all this tomfoolery. It's just so funny how other countries, with their own culture and understanding of things, insist on picking up American sensibilities.

Oh, the audacity!  >:(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 14:38:37 by GrahamB »