Author Topic: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?  (Read 22726 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 21:49:56 »
Every kid is different. i was easy I guess. Just knowing I made my mom upset was always enough for me. She was very loving, and I wanted to please her. She didn't have to make threats to make me behave. but htat may be the difference between little boys and little girls. Not wanting to make mom unhappy certainly wasn't enough for my brother!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 21:50:50 »
My mother would say when I was little that I'd better behave or she was going to put me in Prunty Town which was a orphan boys home at that time! Believe me, I straightened right up! It didn't give me any mental problems for hearing that, instead it made me respect authority.
Children need to learn respect, not to be pampered with parents saying they don't want their children to be afraid of anything.

My grandma would say that if I didn't behave myself then Boney would come and get me.  This was in the early 1950s and the Boney she was referring to was Napoleon Bonaparte of the Battle of Waterloo fame in 1815!  She wasn't as old as that, of course, but no doubt her grandmother had said the same to her and so on way back.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 21:51:12 »
I don't know how many police forces use weapons, but in the UK they dont use any form of wepons. just a good old baton ;)

We do have some police that use rifles but have never seen actually seen any of these people.

It is always scary to see people with wepons, like when we went to Spain this year, the passport man at the airport had a pistol on him. And believe me I was pretty scared actually :-[

Damo :)

At any major UK airport, Damo, you see armed police while one day when shopping in Asda in Harrogate (a very respectable and law abiding town) I was so surprised and disturbed to see armed police walking round the store shopping that I contacted the local Inspector in charge.  It turned out that there had been a stand-off at a house overnight and that the police were on their way back to be debriefed and had stopped to stock up on stuff for breakfast!  The Inspector agreed with me that the officers should have locked their weapons in the gun safe in the boot of the car and one of them should then have stayed with the car while the other shopped.

Edit:  Having said that I was disturbed to see armed police walking about Harrogate, in Malta where the police always carry arms, it doesn't bother me at all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 21:56:22 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2010, 21:53:41 »
The idea of police not carrying guns is very foreign to me. They all do here, only recently they have started carrying tasers too and are encouraged to use that instead of deadly force when possible.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2010, 22:03:02 »
This is very interesting... It seems there are some very different reasons people like playmobil -- for some they love its historical accuracy. Some like the way the modern themes perfectly mimic real life, the world they see around them. Others use it as kind of an escape from reality.

True true :)

It's a scape from reality indeed, maybe that's why I like the sets w/ fairies, wizards and gnomes...they're all so magical :P
I'm one of the few collectors who don't love the medieval theme because it's not part of my historical or cultural background (I've noticed MOST European folks on the Spanish forum LOVE the medieval sets, and I find that boring :-[) - I've always related castles and stuff mostly to fantasy stories, rather than to an accurate or precise historical moment. I don't dislike the medieval theme at all though :)

PS I do not like the RC cars at all...I prefer the classic style cars Playmobil produced back in the day
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 22:08:43 by Luis »
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2010, 22:05:29 »

PS I do not like the RC cars at all...I prefer the classic style cars Playmobil produced back in the day

Ah but the RC cars are so much fun!!!

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2010, 22:07:44 »
Ah but the RC cars are so much fun!!!

oh yeah, they look fun, they're just not aesthetically attractive to me :P
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2010, 22:08:43 »
To me, if it has batteries, it misses the point of playmobil.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2010, 22:10:50 »
oh yeah, they look fun, they're just not aesthetically attractive to me :P

Well they are bulky only because the RC module needs to be placed properly in them...

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=5603.0

Have a look too Bonnie  ;) !!! IMHO, in this case batteries means double the fun!!!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2010, 22:14:46 »
Yeah, I guess it is pretty cool. And besides, the lights have batteries, I guess!  :P

By the way I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, what is IMHO? I see that and IMO all the time on here and don't understand.