Author Topic: Cake decorating ideas, please?!  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
Cake decorating ideas, please?!
« on: June 16, 2011, 18:22:58 »
From spares and oddments, I have a two tier yellow sponge cake (as in set 4308) and cake stand.

In the set it comes with the small pink bows which would normally be on the back of a skirt (30 25 6590) and a bride & groom (30 80 6342). Pink is no good!!!  I've scoured PlaymoDB and the alternative is white bows which may have to do. 

Hsa anyone else been playing around with birthday cakes and can suggest an alternative decoration.  It's a boy's birthday cake (we've got two of the hideous pink ones in the collection and need to redress the balance).  I need something to stick in the top, too (I imagine the Christmas candles won't fit  :()

I need to use Playmobil parts, rather than customise anything as I am so useless at making anything I may as well be wearing padded mittens to do the job.

Your suggestions all welcomed, please

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Cake decorating ideas, please?!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 18:29:51 »
Darn, I was thinking this was going to be about real cake. Where is Andi these days anyway, I don't remember seeing him in a while?

On topic here - what about using some of the pieces from the micro sets? The pirate one would make for an interesting cake. They don't have the holes for the pins I think but they can be stuck on with a little tacky stuff. Other than that the birds, blue butterfly, or small blue rabbits are possibilities.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 18:36:06 »
Alison, perhaps you can try this bow, 30 25 6510 - Bow, ribbon, its a bit bigger than the red ones from the cake, and they dont have a point out to fit the hole in the cake, they have a hole like the cake, but perhaps you can place it with a little something, maybe a very small piece of bluetack, in place..

Offline Alison01326

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 18:44:04 »
Oooh, you guys are quick.  Some excellent suggestions - thank you very much.  Of course, I never get around to putting half of my ideas in practice, but at sometime between now and 26 October I will be creating a display including said cake and will photograph it.

I have plenty of birds, so will see how they look and will put an order for the bows and some pirate bits as whatever I don't use on the cake will always find a place within the collection.  And if I have to stick things on permanently, I can always order more cake!!

Never thought of micro sets  ::)

Oooh 'eck, I feel a spending spree coming on  :o

PS  Keep 'em coming everyone, the credit card's not out just yet  :lol:

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 23:19:08 »
Well Tim said it first but I was gonna say use some of the microset stuff.
Or some Santa's toys or a Xmas garland. Also flowers.... but if it is for a boy....   :-\

There is also a small yellow bow from the wedding theme if you are interested in bows.
For a boy just place a soccer ball on top and that's it!  ;D
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:16 »
We used  a playmo groom and bride and a playmo cake on top of our wedding cake, there is a thread i made in 2010 with a pic but right now i cant find it !!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[.... Actually they were slightly coustomes and we used bit and parts from the weddign theme ( my wife's favourite ) and we changed wigs so that the playmo klickies look more like us ./ we have some really nice pics of the wedding cake and i have kept these wedding klickies, both have some cake traces at the bottom of their feet !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Alison01326

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:47:57 »
We used  a playmo groom and bride and a playmo cake on top of our wedding cake, there is a thread i made in 2010 with a pic but right now i cant find it !!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[....
I'm sure we won't mind if you post pics again  :D

For a boy just place a soccer ball on top and that's it!  ;D
Noooooooooooo!!!  We play rugby in our part of the world (Cornwall) so it would have to be the nearest thing there is to a rugby ball - the American football!! (30 62 7172)

Seriously off topic, but an interesting and little known fact that in spite of the Cornish "national" sport being rugby, it was the Cornish who first introduced the game of football to the Mexicans (and possibly from there to the whole of Latin America).  Honestly, it's the truth  ;D

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:31:52 »
I'm sure we won't mind if you post pics again  :D
Noooooooooooo!!!  We play rugby in our part of the world (Cornwall) so it would have to be the nearest thing there is to a rugby ball - the American football!! (30 62 7172)

Seriously off topic, but an interesting and little known fact that in spite of the Cornish "national" sport being rugby, it was the Cornish who first introduced the game of football to the Mexicans (and possibly from there to the whole of Latin America).  Honestly, it's the truth  ;D

I will try and find them  ;D

Ref to football , as far as i know, ancient greeks invented it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 14:34:17 »
Well this will get confusing seeing as each half of the world use the term "Football" for two completely different games  8}

I think a soccer or football on top of the cake will not look right. Imagine a real cake with a normal sized sports ball on top :hmm:

I say you use the micro pieces
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 14:39:08 »
I think it's only the US that has the version we call football; to everyone else, what we call soccer is football, right? Interestingly, here in the US, a soccer ball cake is more likely to be a girl's cake.

Back on topic, I agree that micro figures could be great for decorating the cake! That's a really good idea.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.