Author Topic: playmobeach.com  (Read 10751 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
playmobeach.com
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:14:01 »
Interesting new site here :

http://playmobeach.com/

Does anyone have any information on it, e.g. how you vote?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: playmobeach.com
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:04 »
I've been wondering the same thing.

Perhaps it's something to do with hit count? Could be that when you press the link or pic to visit each site, it records a vote. I hope someone else can answer this. :eh?:

Love the concept and layout of the site.  8-)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 17:30:27 »
That was interesting,

If you put your arrow thing on the stars you can vote from 1-5 to rate the sites, of course I gave here 5 out of 5.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 18:25:30 »
Well, that was simpler than I thought. Thanks for working it out, Garry. :)9

I noticed the stars lit up with the mouse-over but didn't think to try clicking on them. Doh! :-[

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 19:10:15 »
good news is, i voted 5 out of 5, doh!!
Bad news is, you can't vote twice ::)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 19:39:25 »
so can you only vote once total, or once for each and give seperate 1-5 star ratings ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 19:42:34 »
Once for each.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 19:52:01 »
 :)
well, you can vote only once in the same option.
but you can vote in severall options.
5 on 5 on us, on jeepmo, on pete & rob, on playmolivier, on deadeye's dick, on tricornejock, on little jo and on macgayver.
this way, all of my playmofriends should be happy.
i am now going to see the other sites to decide my other votes.
:)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 22:01:55 »
 I recently found this
site from one of macgyvers links
I think.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:40:20 »
Yes, I've know this page for several days. The guys who made this site contacted me for promoting it. I discussed with the creators a little bit about voting and so on.

The purpose of this page is to provide a hopefully link list of Playmobil related pages. They guys had been wondering how to order the links and thought that it would be useful to present it in an order made "democratically" be the visitors by voting for the single pages. I put the word democratically in quotation because I personally have me doubts if this will be a "fair" and democratic voting, not ending in some "voting-wars" (in the style of "edit-wars" on the wikipedia) wanting some single pages to be seen on leading places.
I suggested different views, maybe one with voting, one in arbitrary order (maybe the default one for also giving the not high voted pages to be seen at the top) and one in alphabethic order so that you can find easily a special page link looking for. The alphabetic list would have the benefit -- additional to a fair ordering -- that you can find links more easily, because now going to this site you have to search each time you're looking for a special page because as said the ordering is influenced by the users itself.

Link order works like that, that you can vote for single pages (yes, as Sir Gareth already recognized, by clicking the preferred voting-star rank  ;)) and the single links are then displayed according to their avarage voting (sum of all given votes divided thru the number voters; accuracy is several digits after the dot, so do not wonder that entries with the same value are not listed e.g. according to numbers of voters for second ordering criteria).  That's also the reason why new added links are quite high in ranking because at those single votes do have a bigger influance at the beginning.

Obviously you can vote only once ... but not really. With some IT knowledge and looking closely you can recognize that voting restriction depends on your computer's address with which you're connected to the internet (either your real computer's address or in most cases the proxy/modem address given/used by your internet access provider).

There is a trick available (do not want to post it here for not spoiling or to animate for "voting wars", so please don't send me any PM with asking for) - maybe even more - with which you can vote as often as you like and with which you can influence the order quite easily and especially heavily. I do not want to accuse anybody, because that's up to everybody else how he/she wants to "use" this site,  but there are some signs that some (probably only very few) people are using these tricks to influence the order of the list.

I'm personally a little bit disappointed, that obviously it seems that some do so, because with this the purpose and idea of this site is underminded, but as I said, it's up to everybody him-/herself how he/she wants to use this site.