Author Topic: 3137 Viking Superset  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
3137 Viking Superset
« on: August 31, 2007, 14:08:57 »

This set is vanishing from the shelves in the UK, but I found one at Toys'R'Us.

The Supersets have a handle on the box, which suggests one is meant to keep it as a storage box after purchase.

Thsi set has two Vikings and one knight on horseback. The Vikings appear to be camping in a small fortified area, and the knight happens upon them. There are a lot more weapons than strictly necessary for the individuals present, handy for resupplying any allies, e.g. there are 4 Viking shields alone, plus one for the knight.

I particularly like the hidden grave area, which comes complete with skeleton and grave goods - shiny nuggets of gold, a sceptre and a crown.

A campfire and table suggest a cosy meal,and the golden tableware provided would make it a feast fit for a king - maybe the king whose skeleton now rests in his burial mound?

I can imagine a good picture story for this set, so I'll say no more now, and see if I can find time over a busy weekend to set up the photoshoot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 22:02:39 by Martin Milner »

Offline GRANT

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: 3137 - Viking Superset
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:19:22 »
I've always liked the viking sets. This is one set that i do not posses and now i may have to seek it out. Thanks for the review. ;D

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:39:52 »
Nice review again, Martin; thank you.

I like the Supersets.  They offer good value for money and provide handy sets for detailing themes, certainly in the modern life theme.  The short production life of some of them can be a problem though if you don't see the use for them when they first appear.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 14:48:46 »
I agree, it's a great set. The black feathers on the knight's helmet are the only time that color's shown up. I've found it useful for customs.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:48:26 »

Thanks for a great review of this set, Martin!

I actually have this set, but never really appreciated it until I read your review.

Thank you and all the best,
Richard

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 14:46:14 »
Great review, Martin.
Now I want one :yup:

Best regards
Jimbo