Author Topic: 3121 Cab removal  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Red Watch

• Playmo Enthusiast
3121 Cab removal
« on: July 08, 2012, 21:58:46 »
 Does anyone know how to dismount the cab of the 3121 recycling truck from the chassis without breaking anything ? We have a cab & chassis that we intend to scratchbuild a new back end on and need to strip the cab into its component parts for painting.   Pushing inside the rear of the cab releases the lug at the bottom rear but there seems to be something else holding the cab and preventing it from being removed, also does anyone know how to get the windscreen out without breaking it ?  Here's hoping somebody knows before we try anything like brute force, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline Red Watch

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: 3121 Cab removal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 19:42:03 »
Okay, I appear to have cracked it, the problem that is, not the cab !  ;D  With the combined efforts of myself and a modeller friend we discovered that the trick is to remove the radiator grille to reveal a locating lug behind it, after much fiddling around the lug was then depressed with the aid of a 6 inch steel rule, depressing this lug first (which isn't easy, it's quite a strong lug) and then releasing the bottom rear of the cab has the desired results, once the cab was off it was a matter of more fiddling around, gentle pressing, pulling & levering to remove the windscreen, the cab and chassis now lie in bits awaiting the attention of workshops (once we decide which of the 4 current options we're going to turn the thing into!) so it may take a while before any further progress is made.   

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 21:50:56 »
Pleased to read you've got past the first hurdle, Dave.  Look forward to more of your continued custom adventures.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Red Watch

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 22:25:19 »
Thanks  :) just scratching our heads now trying to decide which option we're going to build, it's no use asking Mini-Chief, she just says "all of them" could always turn it into a prime mover with various pod options I suppose, no, I don't think so, Mini-Chief wants (at least) one of those as well !  It looks like it will either be the police mobile forensic unit or fire service scientific support mobile unit as the mobile control and catering units could really do with being on a longer chassis.  After years of modelling in 1:72 and 1:32/1:35 scales I'm still surprised by the size of some playmo items, I can "think in scale" and visualise things in the scales that I'm used to, I will have to build a card mock up of the body for this, even compared to the larger scales I'm used to this is going to be big.  I have one little bit of surprise butchery up my sleeve that will be revealed once we manage to get the body built, maybe that should read "if we manage to get the body built" styrene sheet as thick as possible and heavy styrene angle is going on the shopping list. All of that is in the future though, first we need to remove the yellow printing from the cab sides, prime and paint the cab and wheels and of course make a decision on which colour it's going to be.