Author Topic: DS 2019-2020  (Read 7099 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: DS 2019-2020
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 17:44:02 »
Even when everything was Steck, the western forts had their own assembly system (I think, I only ever had one and I only got that as part of a bundle).

Yep... A wonderful system, actually (though I find it hard to assemble - managed to hurt myself making the piece in the xmasy dio  :-[ )

If I see them cheap... ;)  .. but not the fort house though.. have (probably more than) enough of those.

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 18:18:08 »
I actually really like System X, except I’ve found they don’t connect in all of the ways I would expect. That’s what I find frustrating about them. For example, the horizontal and vertical pins are spread apart differently, so I can’t connect things in ways they weren’t designed to be. But it feels really satisfying to snap them together.

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 18:24:09 »
Let's talk about that validity date: until 31 January 2021. What do you think is going on? I thought about 4 options:

A. Playmobil wants the same release date for the new DS items all over the world, now Germany has the release 6 months prior to the rest of the countries where the DS is part of the assortment.

B. This is actually the last DS ever, so it ends simultaneously with the validity date of the rest of the world.

C. The future DS products will be part of the normal catalogue. No separate catalogue anymore.

D. The new validity period is now one year and a half, instead of one year.
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 19:04:10 »
I actually really like System X, except I’ve found they don’t connect in all of the ways I would expect. That’s what I find frustrating about them. For example, the horizontal and vertical pins are spread apart differently, so I can’t connect things in ways they weren’t designed to be. But it feels really satisfying to snap them together.

Well... I find system X hard to work with - not too much practice or knowlegde, I think... And I have the same problem!  When I am doing something, somehow I always needed connections where there aren't any  :-\

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Let's talk about that validity date: until 31 January 2021.

You are right, that IS the biggest news!

A. Playmobil wants the same release date for the new DS items all over the world, now Germany has the release 6 months prior to the rest of the countries where the DS is part of the assortment.

But... DS here is January 1.  Or 2 or 4, but....

B. This is actually the last DS ever, so it ends simultaneously with the validity date of the rest of the world.

:o  That had not even crossed my mind. Now I am scared.  Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be a COMPLETE surprise, now would it?  :'(

C. The future DS products will be part of the normal catalogue. No separate catalogue anymore.

But if no more ds....

D. The new validity period is now one year and a half, instead of one year.

I could be ok with that. My wallet says "10 years is better. Or 100"..

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2019, 20:16:41 »
I am inclined to think they are trying to line up with world wide release.
They have more and more themes being released everywhere at once (licensed for instance). It used to be that they did delayed releases for most of the world because they didn't have the production capacity to do everywhere at once for new releases. Now that they have gone to only a two year cycle for most things, and they are continuing to expand production capacity (doubling the size of Malta klicky factory for instance), I think they are slowly heading towards world wide releases on more and more lines. It's more cost effective for them to produce all of an item for the whole world at once than to have to do multiple runs of it. Considering that they currently release DS to the rest of the world after only 6 months, they are probably already making it all in a single run anyway. So releasing everywhere at the same time would make more sense.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2019, 15:32:11 »
I know that at one time Playmobil would do a run of 10,000 of new sets and not do a re-run until the stock was gone.    This meant holding large stocks of finished products as well as raw materials.  Nowadays, however, they work, like most manufacturers on the "just in time" system which reduces the need to hold large stocks of either raw materials or finished products..
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2019, 16:29:20 »
I know that at one time Playmobil would do a run of 10,000 of new sets and not do a re-run until the stock was gone.    This meant holding large stocks of finished products as well as raw materials.  Nowadays, however, they work, like most manufacturers on the "just in time" system which reduces the need to hold large stocks of either raw materials or finished products..

It seems like “just in time” is code for “nearly always out of stock.”

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2019, 19:00:13 »
Considering that they currently release DS to the rest of the world after only 6 months, they are probably already making it all in a single run anyway. So releasing everywhere at the same time would make more sense.

A theory that makes a lot of sense! Also, if they want to keep competing with Lego, a worldwide release for all the themes and expansion sets is unavoidable!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline PlaymoFrankJon

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2019, 13:00:55 »
Looks like the DS parts have dropped (Not all, the new castle extensions & knights arent on the website yet). German website has them, but more importantly Belgium, Spain, Netherlands all have them too! So my guess is that the 6 month gap is gone ? Great..

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2019, 15:10:01 »
Looks like the DS parts have dropped (Not all, the new castle extensions & knights arent on the website yet). German website has them, but more importantly Belgium, Spain, Netherlands all have them too! So my guess is that the 6 month gap is gone ? Great..

It's amazing!!! Also, the medieval feast is back online!!