Author Topic: The Making of : Summer Garden Party on Regent St  (Read 199667 times)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Re: The Making of : Summer Garden Party on Regent St
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2013, 03:15:14 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

As far as the embossed plastic sheets with a tiles effect are concerned, the best website is surely the Dollshouse Emporium based in the UK and in English, of course :

http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/dolls-houses-for-collectors.aspx

Go to their For Collectors section and select the "Flooring" category to check their embossed plastic sheets selection.

If you need any help, do ask me  ;)

I wish you all a great day !

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2013, 03:30:19 »

This hobby is about improvising too when needed and I have greatly appreciated the tip of my Friend Lori who suggested a lighter pavement colour for my latest mini diorama Flowers amongst Flowers, and she is absolutely right !

The plastic embossed grey brick pavement sheet I have used for the first picture is creating a too strong contrast, but I haven not received my red brick printed sheets yet, so what do I do ?

Just go online and Google "dollshouse brick sheet" and scroll down the many on display in the images section. Once selected, copy and paste on a A4 sheet, enlarge if necessary to fit the A4 sheet and print on a color printer  ;)

For the new pavement of my mini diorama, I have used this copyright free picture :

You will see the end result in the pictures I will take this morning and one should not make the difference between a purchased printed pavement sheet and an improvised one  ;)

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2013, 04:54:37 »

A little secret that I will share with you is that there is another source of accessorizing the Playmobil Victorian theme than dollshouse accessories on a 1/12th scale  ;)

The Sylvanians are matching the scale of our little klickies and provide a wonderful alternative as far as accessories, furniture, buildings and even vehicles are concerned as illustrated in the following picture featuring a the car of Lady Daniele and Lord Martin St Giles created by our dearest Friend Daniela  :love:

Here is a link to the Sylvanians website :

http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/

Karim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:05:22 by playmovictorian »

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #303 on: September 23, 2013, 16:11:02 »
A little secret that I will share with you is that there is another source of accessorizing the Playmobil Victorian theme than dollshouse accessories on a 1/12th scale  ;)

The Sylvanians are matching the scale of our little klickies and provide a wonderful alternative as far as accessories, furniture, buildings and even vehicles are concerned as illustrated in the following picture featuring a the car of Lady Daniele and Lord Martin St Giles created by our dearest Friend Daniela  :love:

Here is a link to the Sylvanians website :

http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/

Karim, thanks for the link to Sylvanian Families (I discovered they're called Calico Critters in my part of the world!) I was unfamiliar with them - but I'm sure next time I'm in my local toy store I'll probably see tons of them and wonder how I've never noticed them before! (Playmobil tunnel vision! :lol:)

A couple of questions about them - you mention 1/12 scale - I thought Playmobil was 1/24? The items aren't too big? Are klickies able to hold any off the accessories? Like cutlery, cups etc.  They have quite a few food options that I really like!

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #304 on: September 23, 2013, 19:45:28 »
Good evening dear Friends  :wave:

The general belief as far as the Playmobil figure is that it is made on a 1/24th scale when in fact it is made on a 1/225th scale  ;)

But when one studies the scale system of Playmobil, one soon realizes that the figures are on a 1/225th scale but most accessories are actually larger in size and some close to the 1/12th scale, most certainly in order to be better handled by children.

This is the reason why anyone thinking of accessorizing any Playmobil theme with a dollshouse item on a 1/12th scale must remember :

1/ never to purchase items of furniture which will be for too large for our Klickies

2/ never purchase personal items such as umbrella or by extension items of clothing

3/ always select the smaller item in a range ie the smaller plate from a dinner service range as only the smallest item will fit the scale and will look as perfectly Playmo compatible in a scene. The same rule applies to everything from vases, kitchen ustensiles, electric appliances such as lamps or chandelliers, to barrels, and so on. Not to forget items such as hedges or trees and even plants in pots of which one must select the smallest item in order to create the right Playmo compatible impression  ;)

4/ The decorative materials such as the flooring printed paper sheet or plastic embossed sheet, wall paper, rugs and so on are much easier to choose as most of them match the Playmo scale to almost perfection.

I invite those of you interested in accessorizing their scenes with dollshouse accessories on a 1/12th scale to look at some of my scenes and check how a chandellier, a fruit bowl, a pan or even a fire place can fit very well in the Playmobil 1900's world.

Finally, do not make the same mistake I did in early days by ordering dollshouse accessories on a 1/24th scale which are far too small and will go totally unnoticed in your scenes  :lol:

When in doubt about the ability of a specific item to be Playmo compatible or not for an item such as a fire place for example, my little tip to you would be to check the size of the item always provided in the online or catalogue description and cut a piece of paper to its dimension and put a Klicky next to it. I can guarantee that it will save you a lot of time and effort if not money  ;)

If any question, feel free to ask me and I will be very happy to help  :)

Karim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:38:23 by playmovictorian »

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:14 »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!  :)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:24 »

In order to illustrate my topic regarding the size / scale matching, I have selected a few examples for you.

The most important thing when shopping for a Playmo compatible dollshouse accessories on a 1/12th scale is to go for the size first and the look after. Otherwise you will end up with items you fell in love with but which will be totally out of proportions in your Playmobil environment  ;)

Example No 1 :

Victorian Fireplace No1 measuring 16Omm high x 108mm large x  43mm deep ( cost 19.70 Euros ) non electrical item.

A lovely fireplace but that would not even fit the ceiling of your Playmo house or will look like a real monument  :lol:

Victorian Fireplace No2 measuring 99 high x 11O large x 45mm deep ( cost 14.80 ) with a lighted fire effect and battery powered bulb.

Playmocompatible  :)

Example No2 :

Street Lamp No1 measuring 241mm x 40mm ( cost 9.90 Euros ) eletrical wire operated

Will look gigantic and totally out of proportions in your scènes !

Street Lamp No2 measuring 115mm x 35mm ( cost 5.50 Euros ) battery operated

Playmocompatible  :)

So please remember to always check the size of the item before going for the purchase  ;)

Karim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:31:44 by playmovictorian »

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:27 »
Introducing the Electricity Fairy to your Playmobil House !

There are two ways to bring electricity to a dolls house and by extension the Playmobil house.

The first one is by using copper wires and soldering iron, a method which I have never embraced for its complication and the second composed of mini electrical wires and plugs which is the methos I have used for years  :)

The system starts from a transformator which must be compatible with the electric voltage of your country, for example for Europe ( excluding UK ), we will use the 230v Transformer for a maximum of 32 light bulbs of 12v each, which costs about 20.00 Euros :

Then to a 12 lights socket in which you will plug all your electrical item such as lamps, chandelliers, street lamps, lighted fire baskets, which costs about 8.00 Euros :

You will also be able to buy mini extension cables for the appliances which electric cord is too short to reach the 12 lights socket.

I cannot possibly better illustrate the electrical topic than inviting you to Watch a little movie I made years ago about the Electricity Fairy :

Karim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:01:40 by playmovictorian »

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2014, 16:43:57 »
Return to Regent St !

Hello dear Friends  :wave:

I hope that you are all well as a new year begins and I would like to wish you once again a Happy & Healthy New Year 2014 !

After lovely holidays back home in South West of France, here I am back to Luxembourg with a suitcase filled with Playmobil figures, accessories and furniture as well as Dollshouse accessories on a 1/12th scale including the lighting, plants and not to forget a mountain of mini delights  ;)

I have spent this Sunday afternoon building the N°1 Regent St Mansion which features a double sized kitchen as well as an enlarged conservatory...

I invite you all to re-open the door to Regent St and the Mansion which will welcome all the tribulations of my happy little Victorians and Guest Stars  :)

Karim :)

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2014, 16:46:40 »

Karim