Author Topic: JLMatterer's Collection  (Read 77597 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Happy Meal - Sheriff
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 15:37:32 »
The toy which set back the acceptance of Playmobil in the US by 20 years.

How do you mean?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: JLMatterer's Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 16:10:50 »
Great new stuff! Good luck finding the remaining parts for Hype. ;)
~Pynedor~

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 21:01:31 »
How do you mean?

Oh, I just meant that Macdonalds withdrew the US giveaways due to worries that children might swallow the small parts (possibly masticating them in preference to the Happy Meal?). I got the impression from some of the things I read about this that it did not exactly help PM's marketing in the US at the time, but maybe I got that wrong? No offence meant, well not to PM anyway, but you might guess I am not a fan of the big M company!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 21:22:00 »
I guess I was unaware of that or, more likely, once knew and forgot about it. A McDonkey's sherriff was my first klicky, as far as I can remember, so in my case at least it worked. I don't know if I whined in order to get them but I distinctly remember having a western wagon and a firefighter team in the wake of the sherriff.

Haven't eaten at Donkey's in probably almost two decades.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 21:23:28 »
Here it is http://animobil.info/text/3e258fc-1027.html. Its an oldie!

TX - that's amazing info - glad to know it.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 08:29:10 »
....I don't know if I whined in order to get them....

A vital part of every child's arsenal, creative whinging!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:27 »
In my memory I was well behaved!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:39 »
And some information from Wikipedia:

"Playmobil was introduced to the USA by Mattel and Schaper.[8] In 1982, Schaper arranged a promotion to distribute Playmobil toys nationwide as in McDonald's Happy Meals. The five Playmobil toys that were to be included in the promotion were a Sheriff, an Indian, a Sheriff's Horse, an Umbrella Girl and a Farmer. Approximately 10 million of the Sheriff and Indian Playmobil toys were distributed from October 22 through November 1, 1982. Before the other toys could be distributed McDonald's ceased distribution and promotion of Playmobil at its restaurants after tests showed that the toy failed to comply with Consumer Product Safety Commission standards designed to prevent children under three from choking on dangerous items. (The Playmobil toys were not involved in any reported choking incidents.) McDonald's customers with children under three who received these toys were advised to discontinue their use and return the toys to a McDonald's in exchange for a dessert, a cone, or a refund."

So the part about setting back PM's reputation in the US may not be true, but it adds a bit more interest to these McD figures. Sorry to hijack your topic, JLM!

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:27 »
KILLER KLICKIES - film at 11

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 16:11:34 »
film at 11

I had to look that one up- on Wikipedia of course

:lol: