Author Topic: 4251 Magic Castle Kitchen Review  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
4251 Magic Castle Kitchen Review
« on: January 03, 2011, 19:50:55 »
Here we have the Playmobil 4251 Kitchen for the Princess Castle 4250 (commonly known as the 'Magic Castle'). 

This was one of two add-ons for the 4250.  The other add-on being the Treasure Room (review to come soon).

These add-ons helped make the 4250 into a bigger castle with more play options.  It also helped increase the "footprint" of the castle. 

The 4250 replaced the previous 3019 Fairytale Castle, the latter being much bigger in size as the pictures show. 

The colours were also changed but essentially used the same pieces, but a lot less for the new 4250.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: 4251 Magic Castle Kitchen Review
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 19:52:22 »
The box itself shows how it is to be attached to the 4250 as well as only one example of an alternate play image.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 19:54:12 »
This set is what it claims to be - a kitchen.  It has a lot of accessories for play, something that Playmobil seems to be moving away from in sets for boys.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 19:54:58 »
The set comes with only one figure - she wears removable large brown shoes (possibly to represent clogs) on bare feet.  As can be seen in the pictures of the interior the kitchen it comes with a plethora of cooking accessories and foods.  There is a lack of utensils with only one knife present.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 20:03:49 by Wesley Myers »

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 19:55:53 »
The piece I like the best in this kitchen is the oven itself.  It is a very large piece reminiscent of what might be seen in a castle.  It is a multi-piece assembly with a sticker for the back of it to represent tiles.  As you can see there are spaces on the side of it to hold various implements.  In fact, there are so many implements, that the box photos do not show them all and there is a lack of space to put them.  This is good, because you get lots - this is not so good because they could have had some more shelving for the room.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 20:03:22 by Wesley Myers »

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 19:56:57 »
As we all know and hear complaints about is the holes in the System-X pieces that show after the structure is built.  To overcome this the set supplies stickers to place over the exposed holes.  This does help.  However, it would be nice to have pieces that just do not have extra holes.  However, this would have cost Playmobil more money to develop a larger variety of System-X pieces.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 19:57:54 »
As stated previously, the colours for the 4250 Castle are different from the 3019 - this is not all that is different.  The towers and tower tops on the 3019 are of the typical rigid playmobil ABS plastic.  However, on the kitchen, as can be seen in the picture, not only the turret top is of a rubber, but also the gold tip to it as well is made of a rubber.  I imagine this (using rubber) being the brain-child of some consortium of employees who get paid a lot of money to come up with ways to worry management that children could fall on the castle and impale themselves ...

I guess only time will tell how well these turret tops age and if they become brittle and break with age.

One other thing to note is the fact the box-art shows the gold of the turrets and the pink/fuchsia to be shiny.  Obviously this is a photo of a pre-production model - and not one using the rubber, which is not shiny at all.  Either that, or they photo-shopped it, but my guess would be of a pre-production model using ABS plastic which was later changed. 

The actual pieces are not that bad in appearance but enough of a difference that it is noticeable. 

All-in-all this is a very good set and definitely increases the play-value of the 4250.  I only wish they had add-ons like this with lots of accessories for the castles themed for boys.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 21:57:59 by Wesley Myers »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 20:15:40 »
Great review Wesley! Never managed to get hold of this set but I was able to get two of the recent add-ons from the DS catalaogues... the female klikcy is pretty...
I found these palace to be not so impressive as the 3019 palace...But still, these are nicely done and beautiful sets!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 20:20:22 »
Thank you, Wesley.  I think I shall add that stove to my Steck houses.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 21:52:49 »
Thank you, Wesley.  I think I shall add that stove to my Steck houses.

I was thinking the same thing, Gordon.  It looks like a really nice set, Wesley.  Thanks for the review.
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway