Author Topic: New instructions at playmobil.com, with which PlaymoDB needs help  (Read 9469 times)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Hi everybody,

I'm impressed with how quickly Playmobil is adding set instructions to their online repository - they're up to 760 sets now, and this year's Pirates, Prehistoric, Fairy Tales and Space themes and more are all there. I've added all available sheets to the inventory-pages of their sets, but I'm terribly backlogged in getting the inventories done, and don't see more free time magically appearing. So this is a yell for help!

My biggest slowdown is the Naming of Parts. Especially in the Space theme, and last year's Agents as well, there are so many parts which I'm finding really hard to describe. I'm looking for volunteers to get some parts described for me. You don't have to own the sets, but it would help, or at least be interested in the theme. I'll get the numbers into the inventories, but they'll be all under TO BE ASSIGNED, unless they're already defined by appearing in earlier sets. I'll get pictures underway after all the numbers get done.

A few guidelines: When I name parts, if it looks like the part was created from an existing mold, I keep the names the same - that way they show up under "Different parts with identical description" on the part page. So if something looks familiar, it's worth doing a search first. For new names, I put the key noun first, because the list of "Other parts with description containing..." goes by the first word in the name. I try (doesn't always happen!) to name parts according to form, not function: what they look like instead of how they're used. After all, someone trying to identify a part in a mixed pile may not realize what its original use was.

It's most efficient for me if you describe parts as follows:

partnumber......description............ .....colour...printing
30 62 3670......Cap, peaked, uniform....blue.....airline logo, gold braid
30 25 9070......Doll......................... ..pink

where the dots are tabs or spreadsheet columns or actual dots, whatever you find simplest to use, but something that divides the lines into columns. Don't worry about getting the perfect all-encompassing description, or whether something is blue or light blue or aqua. Length limit: 75 characters. I reserve the right to spellcheck, edit or not use your submissions, but I'm not going to be terribly picky - better to have something than nothing. If you get partway through a set and don't finish it, submit what you have and maybe someone else will do the rest.

Here are the sets from the last two years which have instructions available at playmobil.com, and that I haven't finished inventorying. There are a few older sets too, but I figure these have the most demand. If you'd like to take this on, post what set you want to do (so no-one else will), download the instructions if you need them, copy a list of TO BE ASSIGNED parts from the inventory if they are there already (or begin at the beginning), and go to it. Early birds get the smaller sets, if you want them. You can post here or email me with your lists, and I will have praise and acclamation and virtual flowers for volunteers!

Sets outstanding:
4164 - Adventskalender Pirates
4165 - Adventskalender Princess
4856 - RC Module Set Plus
4875 - Secret Agent Headquarters with Alarm System
4876 - Secret Agent Super Racer
4877 - Secret Agent Detection Jet
4878 - Robo Gang Truck
4879 - Spy Camera Set
4882 - Robo Gang Battle Yacht
5134 - Adventure Island
5142 - Princess Castle
5143 - Pegasus Coach
5144 - Pegasus with Decorations
5145 - Royal Banquet
5146 - Royal Nursery
5147 - Royal Bath
5148 - Royal Dressing Room
5149 - E-Rangers Future Base
5150 - E-Rangers Turbojet with Startstation
5151 - Explorer with Laser Cannon
5152 - E-Rangers Collectobot love the name
5153 - Darksters Tower Station
5154 - Darksters Truck with Laser Cannon
5155 - Darksters Speed Glider
5156 - Stealer with Laser Cannon
6766 - Interactive Play and Learn 1.2.3 Farm
7483 - Floor Extension for Large Grand Mansion
7484 - Light Set for the Large Grand Mansion (5302)

THANKS EVERYONE!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
Re: New instructions at playmobil.com, with which PlaymoDB needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:12:53 »
No problem,

I already have some e-ranger sets, I like them a lot. Will try to make some inventories of some sets.

Jan  :wave:
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:01:46 »
I can take care of:
5145 - Royal Banquet
5146 - Royal Nursery
5147 - Royal Bath

I don't have them, but it's a theme I'm interested in, and it all looks fairly straightforward. I may be able to do more later, I'll see how much time I have.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 13:17:13 »
I so wish I could help! But I lack vocabulary in English for that kind of task. I would describe too many items as "thingy"! :(
Best,
A.
Life in the so called space age...

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 13:18:33 »
No problem,

I already have some e-ranger sets, I like them a lot. Will try to make some inventories of some sets.

Jan  :wave:

Many thanks (and flowers) Jan!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 13:22:33 »
I can take care of:
5145 - Royal Banquet
5146 - Royal Nursery
5147 - Royal Bath

I don't have them, but it's a theme I'm interested in, and it all looks fairly straightforward. I may be able to do more later, I'll see how much time I have.

Thanks a bunch, Bonnie! I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the pieces weren't copied directly from the earlier series, so you can just reuse the names.

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 13:29:27 »
I so wish I could help! But I lack vocabulary in English for that kind of task. I would describe too many items as "thingy"! :(
Best,
A.

I can understand that. Could you type up some part-number lists instead? Pick a set that doesn't have TO BE ASSIGNED parts, and just start typing the part numbers from the instructions. If the numbers are done first, then we can see if there are any parts that already exist, and not waste time naming those.

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 18:02:49 »
OK Heather. I'll do just that. Download a building instrction file, check for parts already listed, then put everything in an Excel board. Is Excel fine for you?
Best,
Arnaud.
Life in the so called space age...

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 22:29:14 »
Pfieuw,

Takes more time than I expected. Well I just listed all the partnumbers of 5149, 5150, 5151 and 5152.
One set is finished from the other ones I checked all numbers in playmodb.org to see which of the partnumbers are known.

(btw I think I found some flaws in the part numbers will let you know when I'm finished)

So next step, the fun step, naming all the still unknown parts!  :)
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 00:48:15 »
This is very time-consuming, and I've developed a whole new appreciation for all you do, Heather! I'm still working on my sets, too. There are a few new parts, but the ones that are new colors for existing molds take longer, from trying to track down the existing descriptions. And then some of these colors are interesting.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.