Author Topic: Playmobil exhibitions in the UK or France?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
Playmobil exhibitions in the UK or France?
« on: August 24, 2014, 23:24:53 »
Me and my mum will be tagging along with my dad who happens to be visiting the UK and potentially France on business later this year. It's quite a whirlwind trip, we'll be in the London area for 5 days and then potentially Paris for the remainder of the trip, so not too much time to explore, although I was wondering if any Playmobil exhibitions take place between November 26th and December 5th, 2014, which at this point is looking like the travel dates.

Also, any general advice on Playmobil hunting in Europe? Are there any good stores carrying a varied selection of new and old sets that you frequent?

Thanks!
PlaymoMan :wave:
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
Re: Playmobil exhibitions in the UK or France?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 23:47:46 »
I was in London earlier this summer and was disappointed the release schedule was the same as Canada, so I couldn't get any stuff earlier than I might otherwise.

The only Playmo store that I found myself in was Hamley's, who had a great selection (nothing older though), but do have the British sentry exclusive. (I'm not sure if it's identical to the Special from ten years ago, but it looked like it to me). But...it was six pounds! Eep!

I did luck out at a flea market by the flat we'd rented one Sunday morning - a seller had several mismatched figures and accessories. I know many people in the UK have found great deals at charity shops, but the only charity shops I found just had books, no toys.

Have a great trip! (Sorry not to be more useful. you'll get better answers from the locals, not the visitor! ;) )

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:17:31 »
I was in London earlier this summer and was disappointed the release schedule was the same as Canada, so I couldn't get any stuff earlier than I might otherwise.

The only Playmo store that I found myself in was Hamley's, who had a great selection (nothing older though), but do have the British sentry exclusive. (I'm not sure if it's identical to the Special from ten years ago, but it looked like it to me). But...it was six pounds! Eep!

I did luck out at a flea market by the flat we'd rented one Sunday morning - a seller had several mismatched figures and accessories. I know many people in the UK have found great deals at charity shops, but the only charity shops I found just had books, no toys.

Have a great trip! (Sorry not to be more useful. you'll get better answers from the locals, not the visitor! ;) )

Thank you, I'll be sure to visit Hamley's and will make a point of dropping by any flea markets that catch my eye. Still, sounds like the prices are rather high - six pounds? Wow! 8}
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:56:39 »
There are other stores than Hamley's who sell Playmobil in London.  Hamley's is a world famous toy store visitors to London flock to.  It is also world famous for its high prices!

Playmobil exhibitions are few and far between in the UK.  So far as I know there were two this year - one in the West Midlands and Kirkbean which is reviewed elsewhere on Playmofriends (with more photos to come).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 06:01:04 »
I picked up a leaflet for an Expo-Bourse Playmobil in Bastogne (in Belgium, right across the French border, a three hour drive from Paris), Saturday 29th November and Sunday 30th November.
I have no idea if it's a full-blown fair with sellers or if it's just a diorama about the Battle of the Ardennes, though.

Now, if you'd be in France the 1st or 2nd of November, there's a Playmobil fair in Templeuve in France, a two hour drive from Paris. I've been to that one, it's the real deal  :)

Maybe you should take a look at this page on a French forum called Playmo'Délisme, it lists all the upcoming Playmobil events near France, I believe:
http://www.playmodelisme.com/f163-EVENEMENTS-EN-2014-br.htm

For buying Playmobil, I don't know the specifics for France. If it's anything like Belgium there, and I'm pretty sure it is, you can find Playmobil in lots of large chain supermarkets (Carrefour, Colruyt) and basically every toy store.

If you'd be willing to drive to Antwerp (Belgium), a 3,5 hour drive from Paris, there's a toy store where you can find older sets - and plenty of places that carry the entire range of sets available now. 

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:35 »
There is playmobil in Harrods too, same huge prices as Hamleys (a figure cost 4 gbp in 2012).. And Selfridges..

Then there is... John....  Lewis. John Lewis, I think that's it - it cost 2 gbp.

Anyways, compared to Portugal, there is a LOT of stuff and displays, but the prices, forget it. Cheaper  (WAY CHEAPER) to buy from Germany. Or even here.

Can't be of any help regarding France...