Author Topic: wrong image on part finder  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
wrong image on part finder
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:51 »
I was looking at the UK DS and noticed that 30 07 6400 which is a dark grey old style halberd was shown as being a new style halberd.
Would this be a problem in ordering as in would the correct one be sent?

It says it appears in one set (6006) which has the correct older version (at least updated older version as original didn't have a ridge at the bottom of the pole) but is the image or number more important at the other end?

Playmodb also has the new version showing alongside the old version under the listing by the way.

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Re: wrong image on part finder
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 13:37:52 »
I think the official photos of sets, while not always a perfect rendition of what's in the box, are a pretty good indication of what comes with it, and therefore what's in the warehouse as spares. I'm looking at the pictures at 6006 at co.uk and it looks to me as if there's a ridge at the bottom. What are the other differences?

Another clue for the serious parts-nerd is that the German name for this part is "Hellebarde II" which means it's likely the mold has been updated but it's using the same number. (To Playmobil: STOP THAT.  There are some German names with "V" and even "VI" at the end. Sigh.)

I post on the parts page, all the pictures of all versions that I can find, with the most recent official picture (if available) showing in inventories. Best I can do.

PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 13:40:38 »
The new ones are probably those silly soft ones, no?

This is getting ridiculous... Wait.. GETTING? No.. it's way past... Did anyone try to put a flag on those new flagpoles?!? :wall:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 13:59:39 »
I have commented in the past  (e.g. here) on parts which have been updated without giving them a new part number. I dont think Geobra always rename the parts with a Roman Numeral do they (certainly not for the swords I mentioned in that earlier topic, listed with the right picture and the wrong description on playmobil.co.uk) ?
And then again, quite often parts issued with a new number appear to be identical to existing parts. Logic? Consistency? Not really.

Then there are the images which are just simply pictures of the wrong part...
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 14:33:48 »
I have commented in the past  (e.g. here) on parts which have been updated without giving them a new part number. I dont think Geobra always rename the parts with a Roman Numeral do they (certainly not for the swords I mentioned in that earlier topic, listed with the right picture and the wrong description on playmobil.co.uk) ?

No, not always renamed with a Roman number, but a renaming is a good clue that something has changed. I keep my English names consistent across German names regardless of Roman numeral ending.

And then again, quite often parts issued with a new number appear to be identical to existing parts. Logic? Consistency? Not really.

Then there are the images which are just simply pictures of the wrong part...

Don't get me started! If there is actually anyone in the company whose job it is to take care of part numbers, they should talk to me, I'd clean it all up.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 17:22:00 »
Don't get me started! If there is actually anyone in the company whose job it is to take care of part numbers, they should talk to me, I'd clean it all up.

Now that would be something worth lobbying for at the PCC!

Someone at Geobra must have a record of the part numbers used in the past, unless they look them up on PlaymoDB like the DS staff do (allegedly)  :lol: :lol: :lol:
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:36:17 »
I think the official photos of sets, while not always a perfect rendition of what's in the box, are a pretty good indication of what comes with it, and therefore what's in the warehouse as spares. I'm looking at the pictures at 6006 at co.uk and it looks to me as if there's a ridge at the bottom. What are the other differences?

None, it's the same mold but the updated version has a ridge. It appears in 6006.
What my concern is, is that the image they use is not of the updated version with the ridge but the new style halberd which is quite different (more realistic looking).

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03:06 »
There is a long history of PM showing parts in their promotional images and box pictures which are not actually in the box. To be fair, this may happen less in 'modern' times (in the past, for example, fixed-wrist klickies were shown on the box but free-wrist klickies were inside, but that is a long time ago!).

Nowadays, it seems that if stock of one part runs out, they may substitute a similar (but not necessarily identical) one. They obviously don't change the box picture or reprint the instruction sheets. There are many examples on PlaymoDB of set inventories containing duplicate part numbers (Heather lists the alternative part numbers and descriptions but does not give a quantity in the text set inventories), perhaps where the precise contents of a set have changed over the set's lifetime. (Have I got that right, Heather?).

It's frustrating that sets and parts vary, but no doubt Geobra think that the variations are not incompatible with the fact that these are toys, not precision surgical implants or whatever. It doesn't affect the play value, folks!

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:06:00 »
Another clue for the serious parts-nerd is that the German name for this part is "Hellebarde II" which means it's likely the mold has been updated but it's using the same number. (To Playmobil: STOP THAT.  There are some German names with "V" and even "VI" at the end. Sigh.)

:lol:

They should give you the job AND pay you for all the work you've done already. Seriously.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 07:34:21 »
Nowadays, it seems that if stock of one part runs out, they may substitute a similar (but not necessarily identical) one.

Recently (well, it's recently to me) there was the replacement of the romans - the arms, I mean, printed roman sleeves (on female arms, too!) instead of the proper molded ones..

Also, I believe the same happened with cops' rolled sleeves - plain tshirt sleeves were used instead (I got this, and so did DrDalek, maybe?).

And horses. Happened to me in a western wagon, and I think someone else here too - old new horses instead of the more recent ones shown..