Author Topic: 4869 assault tower/battering ram review  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
4869 assault tower/battering ram review
« on: August 13, 2011, 18:23:11 »
When I went to TRU yesterday i also picked up the only new knight set they had.  I really like the new falcon knights so I couldn't resist picking this up to start my falcon knight army.  It was 22.99.  Wasn't to happy with the price.  Here we go.

Everything nestled in the box.

Here are the contents of the box.

The following pics are of the assault tower being put together.

The back has two system x connectors for the holder of the back ramp.

I like how you can fold this assault tower.

Now for my fav part, the klickies!  Blondie here has alot of stubble.  It looks like this maybe a new face because he seems to have alot more stubble than others with stubble.  It looks like its longer stubble.

I really like the bucket helmets!  I also like the pointed armor he has too!

You will notice in this pic that the klicky has pointed shoulder armor, a belt with back attachment, and split skirt legs.  But the klicky I got didn't have the shoulder armor, the correct belt or split skirt legs.

You will notice the klicky I'm talking about in the middle has the higher boots instead of the split skirt legs.

The tower is a little bit higher than I thought.

Overall it's not a bad set.  I love the klickies and the new horse armor.  Probably won't be buying alot of these because of the price.  I prefer a siege tower over this contraption.  Still I think it is a must have for the medieval collectors.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4869 assault tower/battering ram review
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 18:55:09 »
Awesome set!! these siege mascines are very usefull!! Thank you for the review!! I am now thinking of gettign a couple more of them, but I already have four...

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:03 »
I don't get what the front piece is supposed to do...

Those funny looking insect legs things are to grab onto the wall?  Are the the right height for steck walls?

What's with the thing on the back?  The didn't invent those till the turn of the last century for artillery pieces.

It's like a fantasy piece.

I do like how they painted the silver.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:44 »
Thanks for the review, Elric.  It's not my theme, but if it were I don't think I would buy it, as it's not up to the standards Playmobil can achieve in the knights' theme.  Maybe a bit fantasy rather than realistic.

Are the metal parts painted or moulded in that colour?  If the latter, then Playmobil have certainly up the standard in producing metallic silver looking pieces as, in the past, these have come out a sort of indeterminate grey/silver speckle finish.

"Blondie" in the klickies must die his hair with all that dark stubble!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:37 »
Wesley, these insect like grabbers are fit only for the latest castles. they do grabb steck walls but the front wheels are slightly elevated, so the ram thing is half on the air. The front part is to grabb on the wall, yes, more importantly to ''brake'' the opening. and the back piece is a platform for klickies to get on the ladder.

Gordon the metalic parts are painted, or better put, printed on, a very accurate print.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 13:01:21 »
I might have to get one of these... I was going to resist but I am a sucker for knights...

Also the klickys might not be dying their hair... my brother has blonde hair and grows a red/brown beard... I have brown hair and have a beard that shines out bright red in the right light...  ;D
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 13:27:22 »
Great review, Elric! :wave:

I'm not sure I like this set :-\ I don't like the colours or the pincery things at all :no:

Damo :)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 13:37:50 »
I've had this set sitting about unopened for a while, but popped it to check the figures. My "middle knight" does have ths split skirt and spiked shoulder pieces, so it looks like you got an anomaly, maybe they ran out of the right figure and hoped nobody would notice.

Like most, I'm not a fan of the fantasy wooden wall & pincer. No real battering ram ever had a fork like that, it just weakens the punch. I won't be getting more of this set, as about half of the purchase price is accounted for by that piece. I'd rather leave that out and have just the figures and horse with their accoutrements. I'll be waiting for the Falcon knights DS sets to boost the numbers, if I decide to boost them at all.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 18:49:03 »
Like most, I'm not a fan of the fantasy wooden wall & pincer. No real battering ram ever had a fork like that, it just weakens the punch. I won't be getting more of this set, as about half of the purchase price is accounted for by that piece. I'd rather leave that out and have just the figures and horse with their accoutrements. I'll be waiting for the Falcon knights DS sets to boost the numbers, if I decide to boost them at all.

Same here - I really like the rest of the set.. but not that contraption..

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 19:36:24 »
I also have that set, and despite my son loves to attack his enemies with that contraption, I would say it's just a so-so set.
Cheers!
Luciano