Author Topic: New Playmobil TV series?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: New Playmobil TV series?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 16:38:47 »
I'd argue that people have never been interested in historical accuracy. History has always been used to further 'identity politics', it just happens to have been the identity of white, straight men as a general rule.

Academic, and popular history, is becoming more interested in different stories and more nuanced. Playmobil, which is a childs toy, is making what they believe will sell to children. The two are not particularly related.

The more I think about it, I think you're right. Kids have never cared whether something is historically accurate. They just want something fun that will spark their imagination. When I was a kid, I really loved the Lego Dragon Knights. They were only loosely based on reality. :lol:

I think what really bothers me about the way toys and media are changing is that it seems like companies are having to make things extra flashy to catch people's attention. They have to compete with all the clickbait online, and kids who grew up with the iPhone pacifier aren't going to look at something that's as simple as what we grew up with in the 90s and earlier. It has to be have lots of bright colors and make kids go WOW! Whereas when I was a kid, I'd look at the sets in the magazines and imagine stories, even without actually owning the sets. They weren't super flashy, and they didn't need to be. They were just generic characters, and my imagination filled in the rest.

These days, kids expect the media and toy companies to fill in all of the details of the stories. They're so used to consuming media, they don't want to put in the effort to imagine something of their own. To me, that's really sad.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 14:13:24 »
For the Playmobil developers - the Brandstätter Group in Zirndorf near Nuremberg - this is only one step in many, in order to establish itself internationally as a strong media brand. "We are currently producing our first major TV series about a new world of knighthood titled 'Novelmore', which will be launched in the fall of 2020," announced the brand management board member of the Brandstätter Group, Lars Wagner.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 16:03:55 »
"We are currently producing our first major TV series about a new world of knighthood titled 'Novelmore', which will be launched in the fall of 2020," announced the brand management board member of the Brandstätter Group, Lars Wagner.

Oh, my poor poor wallet.

I can't stand the name, is it just me?  Does it mean or sound like.. nothing.. in german?  Cause in english it's dreadful. Or it could be me.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 16:19:13 »
I can't stand the name, is it just me?  Does it mean or sound like.. nothing.. in german?  Cause in english it's dreadful. Or it could be me.

I'm totally clueless about the name. Perhaps there'll be an explanation in the story-line, but as a name in & of itself... kinda meh.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 16:25:19 »
I'm totally clueless about the name. Perhaps there'll be an explanation in the story-line, but as a name in & of itself... kinda meh.

I can't help it - I see "novel more" - makes no sense at all to me  :-\

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 16:49:03 »

Ditto  8}

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 06:30:15 »
Anagrams include

Revel Moon

No more vel

Evel Moron
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:34 »
I'd argue that people have never been interested in historical accuracy. History has always been used to further 'identity politics', it just happens to have been the identity of white, straight men as a general rule.

Academic, and popular history, is becoming more interested in different stories and more nuanced. Playmobil, which is a childs toy, is making what they believe will sell to children. The two are not particularly related.

Except most of playmobil ranges are modern sets and are very accurate with police and fire uniforms, garden centres, horse sets etc all being what you'd expect to see in real life. It's not made flashier or fantasy to fit some narrative, it's just as you'd expect it.

When you see a WWII movie everything is accurate from the hairstyles to the lapel badges on the uniforms. It's become a fad in the last ten years to pretty much make up stuff about history prior to the industrial revolution. So you have extras dressed mostly in leather who look pretty much the same whether they're in a musketeer film set in the 17th century or a viking film set in the 9th century.

Also most clothing experts tend to be women, as in those who take a special interest in historic clothing and fashion so the idea that only men are interested in historical accuracy is not true.

Also actual medieval clothing was flashier than what playmobil shows.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:12 »

The writer Edgar Allan Poe wrote a poem with a dark theme about a raven called The Raven. The raven keeps repeating the word 'nevermore'. I wonder if it's meant to invoke that sense of dread? Not that many parents and certainly not the children would get such a reference.

Offline austinf4564

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 16:47:31 »
The writer Edgar Allan Poe wrote a poem with a dark theme about a raven called The Raven. The raven keeps repeating the word 'nevermore'. I wonder if it's meant to invoke that sense of dread? Not that many parents and certainly not the children would get such a reference.

I thought the same thing about the name! All I could think of was the poem.