Author Topic: Is it safe to store PM in an unheated attic?  (Read 12483 times)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: Is it safe to store PM in an unheated attic?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 22:12:28 »
The additives of ABS plastics will start to leach from with in the plastic.

:o :o :o

I'd better get a Hazmat suit on! :lol:

Damo :)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 22:23:57 »
:o :o :o

I'd better get a Hazmat suit on! :lol:

If your Steck & old fire truck grey parts are yellowing, you'd better Damo :lol:! In all seriousness though, there was discussion regarding the reason computer casings & other ABS plastics discoloration happened & it was chemically decided that the additives for making the plastics nonflammable caused most of the yellowing with heat releasing the additives. Tobacco smoke was another culprit, hence the need to bleach them in H2O2. My Playmobuilding AC is set to not let the temp go above 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 22:27:43 »
BB: That is SCARY info! Maybe I should wear a swimsuit and sit in a lawn chair in our attic on hot days drinking a Smoothie and running a few fans to cool down the place....better yet, maybe I'll have to take all of the Klickys for a swim in a cool, shaded pool!

Actually the info about the additives breaking down is quite interesting. Any idea what temp qualifies as too hot? What will we have to worry about next? Beats me, Pgal :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 22:28:05 »
If your Steck & old fire truck grey parts are yellowing, you'd better Damo :lol:! In all seriousness though, there was discussion regarding the reason computer casings & other ABS plastics discoloration happened & it was chemically decided that the additives for making the plastics nonflammable caused most of the yellowing with heat releasing the additives. Tobacco smoke was another culprit, hence the need to bleach them in H2O2. My Playmobuilding AC is set to not let the temp go above 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm scared now! :0 :0 :0

Is this dangerous to our health?

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 22:36:03 »
BB: That is SCARY info! Maybe I should wear a swimsuit and sit in a lawn chair in our attic on hot days drinking a Smoothie and running a few fans to cool down the place....better yet, maybe I'll have to take all of the Klickys for a swim in a cool, shaded pool!

Actually the info about the additives breaking down is quite interesting. Any idea what temp qualifies as too hot? What will we have to worry about next? Beats me, Pgal :wave:

I think it varies on temp, mostly it has to do with length of time exposed to extreme conditions. Months laying there without a break in heat would be the most hazard to a collection. The way I have started to look at it is, if it's too hot for you to stay exposed to the heat, your Playmobil will start to suffer too. How big is your bed Pgal? Got Room?
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 22:43:03 »
Well, I think that storing it in the attic is fine. The plastic can probably withstand extreme temperatures, but keep it sealed in the Rubbermaid bins, as insects can crawl into unsealed boxes.
Hope this helps,
PlaymoMan :wave:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 22:55:22 by PlaymoMan »
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 22:48:40 »
The basement is totally different! It being underground regulates the temp, keeping it fairly moderate to cool. An attic can get extremely hot!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 22:49:42 »
How big is your bed Pgal? Got Room?

*sniggers

I just don't know what to say! :lol: :lol: :lol:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 22:55:14 by flatcat »

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 22:56:27 »
The basement is totally different! It being underground regulates the temp, keeping it fairly moderate to cool. An attic can get extremely hot!

Whoops, I just realized that! :-[
I edited that part out...
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 23:10:45 »

Oh yeah! Put a thermometer in an attic & watch it during a day when the temp is 95 to 103 degrees outside & see what an attic gets to, then think about those poor, pooooor Klicky's, sweating in those plastic bins,.....screaming,.....help us, ooooh please help us, call 911, we're meeeelting :'(! :omg: