Author Topic: NEW PLAYMOBIL EGYPTIAN 2008 - UPDATE !!  (Read 28327 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: NEW PLAYMOBIL EGYPTIAN 2008 - UPDATE !!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 13:42:01 »

OK, Lars ...

Tell us about the guy in the picture.

Have you gotten him already?

Is he now available from Direct Service?

Please share your "secrets" with us ...  :klickygrin:

All the best,
Richard

see attachment

Offline macgayver

• MrPainterElf
  • Playmo Addict
  • www.macgayverplaymobil.be
    • Macgayverplaymobil
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 14:02:39 »
Malta  ;D

my guess ;)
One picture say's more then a thousand words ;)

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 14:54:24 »
If I remember correctly: Nuremberg  :-[
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 15:39:53 »
Bogro is right. It's from the Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse (Nuremberg Toy Fair) :)

A very nice figure that deserves to be shown until his other friends arrive :P (EDIT: And also after the arrival, of course)

So, Richard. No secrets... :lol:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 16:08:29 by LHAAP »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 16:18:10 »

Bogro is right. It's from the Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse (Nuremberg Toy Fair) :)

So, Richard. No secrets... :lol:

Thanks for the info, Lars ...

A very nice figure that deserves to be shown until his other friends arrive :P

I agree, Lars! This is indeed a very nice figure. In fact, it may become my favorite Playmobil Klicky of all time!

I don't know if we have any Warhammer fans here, but this Egyptian would make a great High Elf archer.

The original Warhammer figures were bright and colourful (much like Playmobil) and really looked wonderful on parade (never thought very much about wargaming with them).

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 23:53:18 »
From a pirate's point of view, I would say his arms are very interesting... ;)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:52 »
The original Warhammer figures were bright and colourful (much like Playmobil) and really looked wonderful on parade (never thought very much about wargaming with them).

Hi Richard I collected Warhammer back in 1990 and liked them a lot.  I wasn't experienced enough then to critically judge the rules, though it was my first introduction to the concept of mass routs, which no other game I played dealt with.

Funny--I went to a gamesworkshop outlet at the local mall recently and a guy in his early 20s / late teens was trying to woo me with a hard salespitch.  I told him I collected in my teens but have been out of it so long.  How long could that really be?  he asked, in his youthful experience perhaps mistaking me for a peer.  When I told him since the late 80s (probably near the time he was born) he bowed out and gave up on courting me...

But, Games Workshop--do they make a killing off their prices?  The plastic "economy sets" must be like gold in the bank, when you consider those are nearly the equivalent (material wise) of the little green army men you buy at the grocer.

-Tim

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2008, 01:38:02 »
I've been researching Egypt around the 18th kingdom (Akhenaten through Ramsses) and am impressed with PM's rendition of the Egyptian chariot.

The axle rested behind the chariot (as depicted by PM).  This made the chariot faster and more mobile (but required it to be lighter and more fragile)(the chariot was faster because with the center of balance so far back, it was less likely to hit a bump and fly forward over the horses--but conversely the horses had to support more of the chariot's weight so the structure had to be lighter).

Hittite chariots, on the other hand, were center-axled (like the Roman chariot) and less maneuverable.  The Hittites used their chariots as shock engines so this was "OK".  (Egyptian chariots were used like mounted archer platforms, whereas the Hittites, fighting with javelins, used their chariots in melee to a greater degree.

-Tim

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:18 »

Hello, Timmy ...

Thought that you might enjoy this Herget painting from October 1941 National Geographic.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:15 »
I've been researching Egypt around the 18th kingdom (Akhenaten through Ramsses) and am impressed with PM's rendition of the Egyptian chariot.

The axle rested behind the chariot (as depicted by PM).  This made the chariot faster and more mobile (but required it to be lighter and more fragile)(the chariot was faster because with the center of balance so far back, it was less likely to hit a bump and fly forward over the horses--but conversely the horses had to support more of the chariot's weight so the structure had to be lighter).

Hittite chariots, on the other hand, were center-axled (like the Roman chariot) and less maneuverable.  The Hittites used their chariots as shock engines so this was "OK".  (Egyptian chariots were used like mounted archer platforms, whereas the Hittites, fighting with javelins, used their chariots in melee to a greater degree.

-Tim

I agree, Tim.  All things considered, Playmobil has done an admirable job in keeping the Egyptians and Romans fairly authentic.  Knowing this makes the one year wait for the Egyptians in the U.S. all the more difficult!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy: