Author Topic: Roman Ladies  (Read 8506 times)

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
Re: Roman Ladies
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 20:20:43 »
There was even a widespread Isis cult in Rome. So Egyptians in Rome is not too far fetched. Also gauls and barbarians are possible. Remember, the last emperor of Rome was a pupet of the German tribes!

The three kings from the nativity series would look good.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 20:30:37 »
There was even a widespread Isis cult in Rome. So Egyptians in Rome is not too far fetched. Also gauls and barbarians are possible. Remember, the last emperor of Rome was a pupet of the German tribes!

The three kings from the nativity series would look good.

intresting !!!!! i didn't knew
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 20:45:52 »
Here is some interesting reading about the latter years of the roman empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricimer

Another Idea for audience in the arene, there are some arab and eastern women in various sets. They could look very good.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 22:12:24 »

I took a course in Ancient Egypt.  Before its fall, Egypt did not trade with Rome, nor were its residents inclined to live outside of Egypt.  Egypt was not a sea-faring society.  It had ships, but they were mostly used to travel up and down the Nile.  They did not trade as much as took what they wanted by military force.  Although they would send their armies to other nations, it was not to conquer so much as to beat them into giving the Egyptians whatever tribute they wanted after which they would go home.

All that changed with the death of the last Pharoah, Cleopatra.  After Octavian defeated Marc Antony's fleet in the Battle of Actium (and the subsequent suicides of Antony and Cleopatra), Egypt was quickly annexed by the Roman Republic (the Empire not having been established yet).  It is unlikely that there would have been any Egyptians who were made citizens.  It is more likely that there would be Egyptian slaves.

Although I love the Roman theme, one of my biggest complaints about it is the lack of civilian Klickies.  The collosseum was designed to provide entertainment to Roman civilians, not military.  There was so much more to Roman society than the army and gladiators, but unfortunately, Playmobil never explored that aspect.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 22:37:51 »
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. What you describe in your first part is ancient Egypt. But those were very different days. Egypt lost its lead and was soon conquered a number of times (late period). Twice by the persians, the macedonians (Alexander the great) and later the romans. This lead to quite a different world view of the Egyptians. Cleopatra was greek/hellenistic and by the time she came to power Egypt had been ruled bij Greeks for centuries!

You a taking very big leaps in your comparison of 2nd millenium bc Egypt to 1st century AD Egypt. It wouldn't have been unlikely for some Egyptians to go to the arena. There wouldn't have been many, but impossible or far fetched it wouldn't have been.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:27:14 »
Congratulations on purchasing some Romans!

It's unfortunate that there are so few original Roman civilians.  I second the recommendation of the wise men, Mary and Joseph, the Egyptians, the Gauls, the Good Fairy, and the Royal Mother klickies.  I would also suggest the bandits in the Egyptian theme.

Here are some of my klickies, some of which are customs, that could occupy the arena:

First are some patrician women and men, some Greeks, and some slaves or poor plebians.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:40:50 by Justindo »
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 06:30:27 »
Next are some Arab traders and some couples who could be royals from Rome's client kingdoms.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:41:47 by Justindo »

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:26 »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:41:59 by Justindo »

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:47 »
Great Klickies Justindo. They hit the roman nail right on the head. Thanks for sharing :-)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:52 »
An excellent collection, Justindo, and very fine customs.

Yesterday, there was news that a gladiator's graveyard had been excavated in York, about 25 miles from us.  Here's a link which ties in with a forthcoming TV programme on the graveyard (oh no! more computer graphics!  When will TV presenters realise that a few well spoken words supported by original illustrations are worth gigabytes of computer graphics?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7806829/Gladiator-burial-ground-discovered-in-York.html

And a link from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/york_and_north_yorkshire/10253483.stm
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”