Author Topic: 4294 Lighthouse.  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
4294 Lighthouse.
« on: September 29, 2007, 17:39:19 »
I just love this set, to me it is one of the best buildings Playmobil has ever made just on looks alone. Construction of it was quick and simple and when complete it is a good solid structure. I did have one problem with it though and that was how it was packed, the parts are just thrown into a large box so the grey rocks bashed against the lighter stone of the building and left a few marks.

Again the figures are of a good design and colour scheme but the officer seems to be missing something around his neck, he looks unfinished, but with the printed design it is difficult to know what to put there.

One nice surprise was to find that the flame at the top does light up and flicker of course batteries not supplied and it turns off after so long.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: 4294 Lighthouse.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 18:14:27 »
Apart from the light at the top the Lighthouse it doesn't really have many other features.
Theres a trap door, yes another trap door in a playmobil building that drops the figure into a cave below that you get too by pulling a rock out of the way. The only new thing about the trap door though is how it operates from a lever that sticks through the tower wall and is operated from the outside.

The part at the front behind the double gates has a rather good sized space and the rocks at the back create a seated area, so there is plenty of storage room in there. It's just a pity that you don't get lots of barrels, crates and provisions to store in there.

The crane at the top has a very simple operation and it rotates the full 360 degrees of the tower, but it has no hook, you have to tie things on to pull them up, how odd.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 18:14:56 »
Thanks for the review, Gary, and you're quite right - the officer does need something around his neck.  I think he also needs anothe hat as thta bicorne just does not look right with the rest of the uniforms.  A hat like the one Count Bogro wears would be suitable, or simply the Spanish helmet maybe with a plume.

The flickering light has obvious uses for fire and rescue fans (in fact, I realise I've already seen it in use in a fire and rescue setting on klickywelt) as in the past I've made my own with flashing LEDs.  If when you have a moment Gary you'd post the part number(s) for it, I'd be very grateful.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 18:38:36 »

... the officer seems to be missing something around his neck, he looks unfinished, but with the printed design it is difficult to know what to put there.

How about a ruff?

Popular neckwear at the time, this one is borrowed off a clown figure.

Perhaps a trifle large but it could be trimmed down, not too much or it might break.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 18:45:05 »
Spot on, Martin.  Just the job.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 20:57:18 »
.. as to the missing hook - the picture on the box clearly shows one ???  ???

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 21:09:43 »
.. as to the missing hook - the picture on the box clearly shows one ???  ???

Bogro
I wonder if the plans do?

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 22:14:57 »
Hi i was wondering if you could show how it is put together ? Is it a system X type and can it be expanded ? thanks. we will not see that set here for over a year so for now i only get to admire your pictures .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 00:48:13 »
Wow!, great review, Sir Gareth. :yup:

Thanks for posting the pics.  It looks like a
great lighthouse.  I like the separate "dock" as well.

I would like to get a hold of a couple of those large
jugs for my Christmas Nativity scene.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Jimbo

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 03:38:35 »
I just love this set, to me it is one of the best buildings Playmobil has ever made just on looks alone.

Thanks for another really splendid review from this theme, Garry!

After looking at your excellent photos, I totally agree with your comment about this being one of the best looking buildings made by Playmobil. (Of course I would have preferred Steck System rather than System-X) ... ;)

Again the figures are of a good design and colour scheme ...

Regarding the figures, I respectfully disagree, Garry ... :(

Ralf Gemein created one of his imaginary Playmobil "Specials" of a conquistador. Ralf made his conquistador from existing Playmobil parts and in my opinion it looks a lot better than any of these new figures. (see attachment)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 22:34:22 by Richard »