Author Topic: Painting PM houses (split from Review of Grande Mansion 5302)  (Read 10500 times)

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
Re: Painting PM houses (split from Review of Grande Mansion 5302)
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:10 »
I'm bumping this, I hope that's the right thing....

I'm planning on painting a building, but it will consist of different wall colours. Should I spray the whole thing white first to give a better base?

I've only painted Playmobil once before, and that was some white walls that had yellowed badly. I just used ordinary spray paint, probably from Wilkinsons, so maybe that was the wrong thing to do?

I like to use a primer coat first, it helps substantially when you are making a color change. It also helps to make an even coverage of paint.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 12:12:18 »
This thread mentions Krylon Fusion spray paint.  Is seems to have been in reference to big pieces. Is that still the right thing to use if I'm doing small pieces - torsos and arms?

Is spray paint recommended over using a brush (and I guess some kind of model paint?)  I know nothing, any advice would be great.

Does it matter if you have different coloured torso and arms to begin with - will they turn out the same looking after the painting or will you be able to tell if one part was beige and the other black to begin? I guess if you use enough paint...?

I do use Krylon to spray on my samurai klickies too....no problem but its difficult to aim and also to get an even thin finish, so I'll agree with savvas that you get your experience by spraying the bigger pieces first

brush almost always give a thicker finish and streaks will show

i'm not 100% sure (because I've no knowledge of how Geobra prints these colours on klicky parts) but it looks like Geobra also has a white layer first before printing on the red.

if youre spraying dark colours over lighter colours, its fine.....but if youre say, going to spray bright red over black, its better you spray a base layer of white

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:48 »
i'm not 100% sure (because I've no knowledge of how Geobra prints these colours on klicky parts) but it looks like Geobra also has a white layer first before printing on the red.

I can confirm that in many cases... When "cleaning" the klickys, there are several layers of colors...

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 13:59:59 »
I can confirm that in many cases... When "cleaning" the klickys, there are several layers of colors...

Good to know, after so many years   :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 14:25:49 »
Printing on klickies often has under-layers, usually black or white.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 16:31:42 »
Hee, all my painting questions from earlier in this thread were for my abandoned project. And I ended up doing a ton of painting for it! >:(

I went with acrylic paint and a brush. It was good in that there were way more colours to choose from. Streaks weren't too bad, I just gave another coat. The down side was it came off (scratched) so easily! If I painted a torso, I had to be ridiculously careful if  I was putting anything over (say a quiver), as it would frequently muck it up.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 17:18:31 »
Did you prime before painting?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 17:21:29 »
Well, no of course not! That would have doubled the effort involved! (And probably meant it would've worked!  :lol:)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 14:42:13 »
I finally got round to this - I used a cheap primer from Wilkinson and then Montana Gold brand for the top coat. I feel it's a good finish, and they had a great range of colours. Hopefully it won't chip off.