Author Topic: Saws and Manor Houses  (Read 4673 times)

Offline indianapierre

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Draft in Dance.com
Saws and Manor Houses
« on: January 30, 2017, 20:56:45 »
Hello everybody,

I stumbled across a great find at a garage sale! I had been eyeing this princess castle since it came out; but the customization work I had in mind made the price too high. Now, however, I'll be able to see my project come to life! I want to build a manor house to use as a city-hall in my medieval town. I think I've worked out a plan for an end product similar to what is pictured below, but to really get it to work, I'll have to saw off a few chunks of system-X floor.

But how should I do that? I mean, I've got some various saws, but is there anything of which I should be particularly cognizent? Is there a major risk of snapping or cracking? Is there a grade of tooth I should know about? Can I just take a saw and have at it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 21:20:32 by indianapierre »

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Saws and Manor Houses
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 21:59:51 »
I have no idea about the sawing part (I wouldn't dare :0), but I assume it also involves painting?

Though I am of no help, I am very much looking forward to the result!  ;D

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 22:16:46 »
I've also idley thought there must be some potential in that building, once it was spray painted in more neutral colours, so I'd love to see what you come up with. However, I also have never dared to cut up Playmobil :o

Offline indianapierre

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Draft in Dance.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:36:27 »
There will definitely be paint involved!

I've been appreciating the previous painting discussion, which will be figured into how I proceed with this project. I've been trying to find the right color palette. Originally, I had intended to make it the residence of the Golden Swan knight (seeing the similar theme in the windows), and had intended a blue/white/gold design. The idea hasn't sat as well over time, however. I keep looking at historical references, many of which are more eggshell white or even adobe/brick. I worry if I leave the majority of it white, it will be too Rococo.

Right now I'm thinking about a dark-brown roof with blue details on white walls.

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:07:32 »
Can't say I remember seeing that castle before, but I don't think I look at the fairytale stuff much. It does indeed have a great shape. Good luck on your project, it sounds great!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 18:42:15 »
I've sawn just a few parts. A fine toothed small saw blade is preferred. I have used an X-acto saw blade from their small mitre box set. It may not be large enough for big system x pieces though. Fine small teeth are definitely warranted, and you will want to clamp the pieces down and use a guide if possible to maintain a crisp line for the blade.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 19:06:43 »
The best saw to use is a razor saw.  This has no back to the blade, only cuts on the pull stroke, has a lot of very fine teeth and leaves a smooth edge with no need to smooth the cut edge down.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 21:47:59 »
The best saw to use is a razor saw.  This has no back to the blade, only cuts on the pull stroke, has a lot of very fine teeth and leaves a smooth edge with no need to smooth the cut edge down.

That sounds interesting...

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 22:25:26 »
Not every saw advertised as a razor saw cuts flush.  Some saws are described as razor saws because of the thinness of the blade.  But a true razor saw has a very thin blade and no set on the teeth - i.e. the teeth are all in a straight line.  So to be sure, check that any saw called a razor saw is also described as cutting flush.

You may also find them just called flush cut saws.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline indianapierre

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Draft in Dance.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 21:00:56 »
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm off to the hardware store this weekend (for my kitchen/bath remodel - which is our primary reason for going according to my wife :p )