Author Topic: making Samurai scaled-armor  (Read 2740 times)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
making Samurai scaled-armor
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:23:55 »
this is one of the 3 main types of Samurai armour,
a scaled 'Dou' consisting of square metal pieces held by bright red and blue braids and bearing their lord's family 'mon'(sign)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
Re: making Samurai scaled-armor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:39:07 »
added KO-TE,
armored sleeves usually of textile, often covered with quilting having small plates of metal,

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 14:08:30 »
Good idea on parts use to reproduce what you ahav discribed... (I just find a flower a bit of an odd choice to be a lord's sign :-[ )

I assume you cleaned part of the torse and arms.. Not a sticker, right?   How did you manage such perfect lines on the torso? :o

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 17:15:17 »
Good idea on parts use to reproduce what you ahav discribed... (I just find a flower a bit of an odd choice to be a lord's sign :-[ )

I assume you cleaned part of the torse and arms.. Not a sticker, right?   How did you manage such perfect lines on the torso? :o

5-petaled flowers (like their Sakura/Cherry blossom) motifs was quite popular

right, not stickers.
I mask the parts not to be cleaned and very very slowly rubbed off the unwanted prints.... each part took ages....I've got more to go....a couple, each day :P

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 00:13:51 »

Have you heard of the civil war in England during the Middle Ages called the 'The Wars of the Roses'? One side used a red rose as it's symbol, the other a white rose.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 07:44:57 »
right, not stickers.
I mask the parts not to be cleaned and very very slowly rubbed off the unwanted prints....

Uhm... And how do you manage for the eraser not to "yank" the masking tape?  ???  That'd be amazing, but I think I'd get the masking tape all off rubbing it..

Have you heard of the civil war in England during the Middle Ages called the 'The Wars of the Roses'? One side used a red rose as it's symbol, the other a white rose.

Just the name, I'm afraid - "War of the Roses"... England Civil War is definetely not my strong point!  :-[

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 08:33:28 »
Uhm... And how do you manage for the eraser not to "yank" the masking tape?  ???  That'd be amazing, but I think I'd get the masking tape all off rubbing it..

does happen once a while....so have to s-l-o-w-l-y rub parallel to the tape and not across it :P

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:42 »
does happen once a while....so have to s-l-o-w-l-y rub parallel to the tape and not across it :P

Ah... maybe I should give that a go... On occasion, it would be very handy to clean it.. well.. CLEANLY across a line  :P

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:10:20 »
Hey my friend!
Those are wonderful. I can only acknowledge how patient you are, I would have gone for stickers again, but you have loads of free time now you're retired, don't you? 😊

The rose is a very common pattern in English heraldry. Actually, when you see a five petal rose in a coat-of-arms, you can almost be sure it's English. In France, lilies were favoured, of course!

Flowers are common as mons in Japan. Master Cheng could show you dozens, but I can recall at least one, the famous Tokugawa family mon, which represents three rose leaves in a circle.
Life in the so called space age...

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 17:39:18 »
Hey my friend!
Those are wonderful. I can only acknowledge how patient you are, I would have gone for stickers again, but you have loads of free time now you're retired, don't you? 😊
y

thanks Arnaud...and changing my lifestyle to hopefully rely less on hypertension medications, so playmo is good therapy too....maybe two hours a day(but not today, still not enough time in a day)....since a pair of these arms has 4 rectangles totalling 14 sides to clean ;D ...hope to show you all the 14 cleaned torsos with cleaned arms soon