Author Topic: Painting Playmobil with a Brush?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Painting Playmobil with a Brush?
« on: May 07, 2016, 02:29:38 »
Has anyone found a paint or technique that works well for painting playmobil besides spray paint? I have lately developed an allergy to the propellants in spray paint; I break out in hives when I breathe it, and of course it's almost impossible not to. I have used nail polish before, but it may not be practical for larger projects. I have lots of zoo fencing that needs painting, and I hate to ruin it with lumpy brush strokes. Any advice?

I've been considering just getting a gas mask, but they're pretty expensive.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Re: Painting Playmobil with a Brush?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:15:38 »
Surely a disposable dust mask is enough? You get them in packs of 20 or so and can be found in most places. They're also used by people wanting to avoid spreading germs.

As for streaky paint-jobs, thin the paint and apply it in several coats with a brush. Use acrylic paints because they're water soluble so you don't get nasty fumes and can clean up with water.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:27:07 »
I thought that at first, but did a search on hives and it is caused by skin contact.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 14:48:55 »
Yeah, hives are usually caused by skin contact (I get those too), but they can also be caused by many other things, food allergies, nasal allergies, and other conditions besides allergic reactions as well. In my case breathing spray paint fumes leads to shortness of breath and hives in places the paint couldn't have touched, like the back of my neck. Unfortunately a dust mask is just that -- it keeps out large particles like dust. It doesn't keep out the fumes that cause the reaction.

As for streaky paint-jobs, thin the paint and apply it in several coats with a brush. Use acrylic paints because they're water soluble so you don't get nasty fumes and can clean up with water.

Good suggestion, thank you. I'll try that.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 17:37:52 »
Over here in the UK you can buy facial masks which will protect from acrylic paint spray reasonably cheaply.  3M do some.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 13:16:47 »
Really? I'll have to look for that specifically.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 18:27:40 »
Surely a disposable dust mask is enough? You get them in packs of 20 or so and can be found in most places. They're also used by people wanting to avoid spreading germs.

These dust masks are chiefly for protection against dust such as sawdust or concrete dust etc. They are not airtight and do not filter gaseous irritants. They are usually rated N95 (US code, not sure of European equivalent) which is the lowest rating. They do not seal germs or gasses in or out with 100% effectiveness! They are better than nothing but not the best.

If you do a lot of spraying or working with gas/aerosol type stuff, you should invest in a full-face tight-seal respirator with disposable filters with a higher rating than N95 - P100 is the best and the one I opt for when I have a choice.

An easy guide is here: http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-choose-a-respirator-or-dust-mask/

OSHA information is here: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/respiratoryprotection/training_videos.html#video

3M provide a very detailed chart and guide here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/738488O/filters-for-reusable-respirators-selector.pdf

Also consider disposable full-body paper suits to prevent any skin contact. Also please ensure your workspace is VERY well ventilated - set up an active exhaust fan if you haven't already. Or do it outside!

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 16:58:12 »
Thanks for this information, I have had a little trouble determining exactly what I would need. I always do my painting out in the back yard, but wind directions are quite variable in my area, so I can be standing upwind when I start and suddenly have a cloud of paint coming right at my face. :o

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:17 »
If in doubt just go for a respirator and P100 filters.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline MauraDog

• Maura Loves Dogs and Toys
  • Playmo Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:40 »
I too would like to know if anyone has a method of painting Playmobil with a brush that they recommend. I used testors paint on several klickys and animals but it scratched off when I played with them. It went on so nicely, I was very sad.

Did you ever find an effective painting method with a brush?
Thanks for posting about this.